raspberrypi-swd.cfg missing on fresh install

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB raspberrypi-swd.cfg missing on fresh install

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    reesesm2000usa
    Participant

I am trying to get OpenOCD working from VS2022 on a Raspberry Pi 3/4 but it fails right after installing. It is a fresh image on the Pi with only the network configured and a sudo apt-get update/upgrade done. I enter the details into the debug settings, VisualGDB tells me OpenOCD is not installed and asks if I want to install it. Installation proceeds and I end up with (Image attached too)

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.11.0-rc2
    Licensed under GNU GPL v2
    For bug reports, read
    http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
    embedded:startup.tcl:26: Error: Can’t find interface/raspberrypi-swd.cfg
    in procedure ‘script’
    at file “embedded:startup.tcl”, line 26

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this? Tried with 32 bit and 64 bit build of Raspian as well as a Pi 3 and a Pi 4.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The script names could slightly vary for different OpenOCD versions or devices. The VisualGDB device/interface script selectors always show the script names from the local machine, so if the remote machine uses different scripts, you would need to find them out and enter the names manually under “advanced settings”.

If you would like to use VisualGDB with OpenOCD that runs on a Linux machine, we would advise first getting it to work manually (i.e. ensure that it works when you launch it via an SSH terminal). If you need help with this, please consider asking on the Raspberry Pi community or in OpenOCD mailing lists, as it is not specific to VisualGDB.

Once you get OpenOCD working, you can manually enter the script names in VisualGDB Project Properties and VisualGDB will handle launching and connecting to OpenOCD automatically.

reesesm2000usa
    Participant

This does not make sense. The Visual GDB documentation says that it installs the required version of Open OCD onto the Raspberry Pi. This is obviously not the case if I need to go and manually install it as you suggest. I am also using the same scripts your example project mentions.

Also, this was working when I was using the trial version but now that I have bought a license and entered that license it no longer works.

support
    Keymaster

Please note that OpenOCD is an external open-source tool maintained by the OpenOCD community. When you install it on your Raspberry Pi via VisualGDB GUI, it simply clones the project repository and attempts to build and install it. As it is often the case with open-source projects, it may require some minor fine-tuning and adjustments and it is not something that VisualGDB can do fully automatically.

If you are looking for a fully supported out-of-the-box solution, please consider using Segger J-Link. It comes with its own proprietary replacement to OpenOCD that is well-tested and fully supported. VisualGDB supports both OpenOCD and J-Link equally well, so our users can choose the underlying debugging software that works the best for them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.