Raspberry Pi Pico support planned?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Raspberry Pi Pico support planned?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  DonMilne 9 hours, 43 minutes ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

tm123
    Participant

I know it’s very early but I was wondering if support for the new Pi Pico is planned?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, we are working on it. Please expect an update in the next 2-3 weeks.

tm123
    Participant

Awesome, thanks.

SEDur
    Participant

I assume you are planning support for the Pico as native build, is this the case?

Will you be able to support remote build/debug on the raspberry pi?
    I’ve had a go and making and importing using the cmake build setup RPi foundation provide for the pico, with no success.
    I’m guessing its because they use a new minimum version of cmake and thus cmake features that perhaps you don’t support?

Many thanks

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

There is no advantage on building the code for Raspberry Pi Pico on a regular Raspberry Pi and it is not practical to build the code on the Pico itself. Hence VisualGDB will build the code directly on Windows using a cross-toolchain. You will be able to use a regular Raspberry Pi as a debug probe if you prefer this option.

DonMilne
    Participant

Me too. I’d love to be able to use VisualGDB to develop for the RPi Pico. I’ve subscribed to this topic to keep myself informed.

It’s more the PIO feature that interests me, since otherwise I think the Teensy 4.x has a better spec – and I can already code for (but not debug) that using VisualGDB.

• This reply was modified 1 day, 9 hours ago by  DonMilne.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

You can try this build: VisualGDB-5.6.1.4033.msi. It has partial for the Pico SDK (allowing to clone and build projects), but debugging still needs to be configured manually (you can use this OpenOCD executable with the official Raspberry Pi scripts) and the GUI for editing the PicoSDK configuration variables won’t apply them yet. The official release with the missing functionality added is expected next week.

DonMilne
    Participant

Wow. I didn’t expect such a fast response on a Sunday! (*) Thanks for the info.

(*) Especially when I see I’d accidentally let my support period elapse. Fixed now.

support
    Keymaster

No worries. We ask users to confirm/renew support for issues that require investigation on our side. Raspberry Pi Pico is getting a lot of attention recently, and we are working on supporting it anyway, so we are happy to share the latest preview build with anyone interested in trying it out.

arrow201
    Participant

This is a win for VisualGDB, as from what I’ve read, it’s currently a pain to setup the Pico for proper C/C++ development. I’m also looking to evaluate the Pico at some point and as expected, variants have already started to popup(i.e. “Tiny 2040”). Curious of the debug options that will be available (Seggear J-link?, Picoprobe?). Thanks.

DonMilne
    Participant

I’m embarrassed to admit that I didn’t have much success with the beta. I went to File|New|Solution but couldn’t see a RPI Pico template, nor board, nor RP2040 processor. I must be missing a step.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.