Raspberry Pi bare metal

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Raspberry Pi bare metal

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BobKruse
    Participant

Hi,

I’m reading through the tutorials you suggested and I have a question.

I’m very new to VisualDSP. I’m confused. Why is a second Linux computer needed to compile the bare-metal RPi code. I thought VisualGDB was a cross-compiler plugin to Visual Studio. Isn’t it compiling for ARM using a GCC toolchain within Visual Studio?

Thank you,

Bob

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by BobKruse.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by support.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Writing bare metal Raspberry Pi code does not require a second Linux computer. You can instead use our regular ARM toolchain and configure the necessary flags manually per this tutorial. That said, as Raspberry Pi is typically used together with the Raspbian Linux distro, VisualGDB does not come with a ready-to-use barebone project template for Raspberry Pi, so you would need to find out the correct compiler flags and obtain the necessary header files from the device vendor.

Note that this will NOT work for Linux-based projects, as they require a special Linux-based toolchain.

BobKruse
    Participant

Thank you,

We have the code, and a working build environment, but I want to debug it with J-TAG.

So I’ll try working through your example. Hopefully, I’ll discover that we already have the files I need.

Thanks again,

Bob

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.