Project clean FAILED

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Project clean FAILED

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lashmuelE
    Participant

Hello,

I am software developer in ELTA.

Very often when i right click the mouse on project and then select Clean i get:

1>—— Clean started: Project: rdp, Configuration: Release VisualGDB ——
    1>VisualGDB: Run “rm -rf “/projects/VisualGDB/Release/rdp_obj”” in directory “” on user@linuxAddr (SSH)
    1>VisualGDB: Run “rm -f “/projects/VisualGDB/Release/rdp_out/rdp”” in directory “” on user@linuxAddr (SSH)
    1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppClean.targets(76,5): error : The specified network name is no longer available.
    1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppClean.targets(76,5): error :
    1>Done building project “rdp.vcxproj” — FAILED.

I see that every time the clean is FAILED the folder rdp_obj does not exists, and vice versa when clean succeeded the folder rdp_obj is exist.

please advise why clean FAILED

Best regards

Shmuel

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This looks like a network error:

The specified network name is no longer available.

Please double-check your DNS configuration or try using IP address instead of a host name for the target.

lashmuelE
    Participant

Hello,

I tried to change the hostname to IP address as you suggested but the clean still FAILS sometimes

Just to mention that the build is <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>always </span>OK and <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>only </span>the clean often FAILS.

beyond that i have one demo project (hello world) that the clean never FAILS, and since that project that was initial with VisualGDB every other project that i add new VisualGDB platform or create new solution the clean FAILS sometimes

other suggestions?

Shmuel

support
    Keymaster

If the build always works, but the clean always fails, most likely some clean-specific setting (e.g. a custom post-clean step or a custom clean command) refers to an invalid hostname.

If you are not sure what causes it and cannot easily revert to a previous version of the project that worked successfully, please consider doing a side-by-side comparison of the broken project against a similar working project. I.e. compare the .vcxproj and .vgdbsettings files and try merging them until you can pinpoint a specific setting that triggers it.

lashmuelE
    Participant

Hello

Sorry for late response, was out of of office for long time.

The clean Fails sometimes and not always as you mentioned. there are no custom post-clean step or a custom clean command as you suggest.

Trying to compare to e demo project did not help (all settings are the same)

other suggestions?

Best regards

Shmuel

support
    Keymaster

No problem. If the project has no custom steps, the problem is likely happening on the MSBuild level. Please try enabling diagnostic MSBuild logging as shown here, reproduce the problem and share the diagnostic build log from a clean operation that triggered the error.

lashmuelE
    Participant

Hello

Attached 3 Log Files:

LinuxCleanLogError – Clean operation FAILED

LinuxCleanLogOK – clean operation OK

WinCleanLog – always OK. just for reference.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Thanks for the detailed log files. Unfortunately, it looks like the problem triggers somewhere inside the Visual Studio’s CppClean task and not in any part of VisualGDB, so it’s hard to pinpoint the exact cause of it:

1> Using "CppClean" task from assembly "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.Build.CppTasks.Common.dll".
    1> Task "CppClean"
    1> Task Parameter:FoldersToClean=pathToProjectRootWin\micro-tools\Hal\VisualGDB\Release\HAL_out;VisualGDB\Release\HAL_obj\
    1> Task Parameter:FilesExcludedFromClean=libHAL.Build.CppClean.log
    1> Task Parameter:DoDelete=True
    1> Task Parameter:FilePatternsToDeleteOnClean=*.o;*.dep;*.tlog;*.rsp;*.bin;*.ihex;*.map;*.S;*.E;*.msbuild-mak;*.alldeps;*.remotedir
    1> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppClean.targets(76,5): error : The parameter is incorrect.
    1> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppClean.targets(76,5): error :
    1> Output Item(s): DeletedFilesByCppCleanTask=
    1> Done executing task "CppClean" -- FAILED.

One thing to try would be to delete the directories shown in FoldersToClean manually and see if it triggers any error (e.g. interference from the antivirus). If it doesn’t help, the only way to narrow it down would be to create another similar project from scratch, ensure that it cleans successfully, and then move the contents of the broken project into it step-by-step:

1. Replace the .vgdbsettings files and ensure that building and cleaning still works.
    2. Replace the list of source files (<ItemGroup> nodes in the .vcxproj file) and ensure cleaning still works.
    3. Replace the common build settings (<PropertyGroup> nodes) and ensure cleaning and building still works.

If you could pinpoint a specific part of the .vcxproj file that triggers the problem, we should be able to suggest a workaround. Otherwise unfortunately it’s impossible to tell what is causing the issue.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.