Problem trying to update VisualGDB 5.1 to 5.2

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Problem trying to update VisualGDB 5.1 to 5.2

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    fstuetz
    Participant

I use Visual Studio 2015 Community and tied to update VisualGDB 5.1 to 5.2 by running VisualGDB-5.2r8-trial.msi.

After that I could not open VS anymore. An error referring to the VS log file ActivityLog.xml appears.
    After uninstalling 5.2 and reinstalling 5.1 I could open VS again.

I hope for any hints how to update successfully.

Thanks!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please check the ActivityLog.xml file mentioned in the error message for detailed error records. This should explain why VisualGDB is not initializing.

Either way, please try reinstalling VisualGDB as it would repair any corrupt files.

fstuetz
    Participant

After uninstalling VisualGDB 5.1 (or installing version 5.2) the relevant error entry in ActivityLog.xml seems to be this:

CreateInstance failed for package [VisualGDB.VSPackage.VisualGDBPackage, VisualGDB, Version=5.1.7.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]Source: ‘mscorlib’ Description: Die Datei oder Assembly “file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\VisualGDB.exe” oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Die Datei oder Assembly “file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\VisualGDB.exe” oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
    Dateiname: “file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\VisualGDB.exe”
    bei System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
    bei System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)

My problem is that I can continue working after reinstalling version 5.1 again, but not with 5.2.

Please note that I have installed VisualKernel too.

Thanks so far!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This could be some sort of a conflict between VisualGDB and VisualKernel. Are you using the latest VisualKernel 2.1r2? If not, please try checking if updating it solves the problem.

fstuetz
    Participant

Hi,

I am using VisualKernel version 2.1r2
    I hope for any other hints – like deleting some entry or file in VS 2015 so I can start with a clean system again.

Thanks!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply. We have double-checked the compatibility between VisualGDB 5.2 and VisualKernel 2.1r2 and could not reproduce this behavior.

It also looks like the package version shown in your log [VisualGDB.VSPackage.VisualGDBPackage, VisualGDB, Version=5.1.7.0] is from v5.1, not v5.2. Perhaps the uninstallation/reinstallation did not complete correctly? Please double-check the version of the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\VisualGDB.exe” file.

If it it 5.2, but ActivityLog still mentions 5.1, please try completely uninstalling VisualGDB and installing it back. You can also explicitly run devenv.exe /setup with all other VS instances closed to force VS to update its package cache.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.