Problem changing ESP-IDF project to new toolchain and version

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Problem changing ESP-IDF project to new toolchain and version

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dedvalson
    Participant

Hi,

I have a simple “HelloWorld” project that I previously built with an older toolchain and ESP-IDF version. I have installed a newer toolchain (side by side) and it contains ESP-IDF release 4.0.

If I create a new project based on HelloWorld everything works fine, so the toolchain and the ESP-IDF install are good.

When I try to change the existing project using the VisualGDB properties it fails and the following output is produced:

Running CMake: C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\VisualGDB\CMake\bin\cmake.exe ../.. -G "Ninja" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=DEBUG -DCMAKE_COLOR_MAKEFILE=OFF -DCMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM="C:/Program Files (x86)/Sysprogs/VisualGDB/ninja.exe"
    CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:5 (include):
    include could not find load file:

c:/esp-idf/V4_0/tools/cmake/project.cmake

CMake Error at VisualGDB/Debug/CMakeFiles/3.15.2/CMakeSystem.cmake:6 (include):
    include could not find load file:

C:/esp-idf/V4_0/tools/cmake/toolchain-esp32.cmake
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
    CMakeLists.txt:6 (project)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
    See also “C:/Users/Don/source/CoralVue/Hydros/EmbeddedProject2/VisualGDB/Debug/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.

The problem is that ESP-IDF/v4.0 is not located at c:/esp-idf/V4_0. (where the trace above says it is being looked for), it is located at under the toolchain at C:\SysGCC\esp32-R8\esp-idf\v4.0. I have tried locating the release and like I said it works fine in the new project. For some reason I can’t get the old project to use the correct version.

I tried manually editing the XML in the vgdbproj but that just produced a different set of errors.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Don

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Most likely, the old project file hardcodes the incorrect path somewhere in the settings. VisualGDB stores its ESP-IDF project settings in XML-based .vgdbcmake/.vgdbproj files, so you should be able to find out the difference by simply comparing a working and a broken project file side-by-side.

Also doing a full rebuild (Rebuild All, not Build All) might help, as it will reset the CMake-specific cache that may also contain some invalid paths.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.