Possible bug in Custom Debug Steps

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Possible bug in Custom Debug Steps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kbzowski
    Participant

Hi, I have decided to speedup compilation process by moving from mono build server to SSH. Our linux server is based on Environment Modules Project (http://modules.sourceforge.net/). So, first in “Custom build steps” I have added “module load gcc/4.8.1” to load necessary libraries – compilation worked great.

Next, I have added same entries to “Custom debug steps”. But I still cannot run my software. In console I got only “error while loading shared libraries: libquadmath.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory”. What indicates, that LD_LIBRARY_PATH wasn’t set properly by Environment Modules. It is working properly when I manually connect to server using ssh client.

I had added suitable “export LD_LIBRARY_PATH” to my .bashrc and it has started working – but I would prefer to manage it via VisualGDB.

I am working with VisualGDB 4.1r7 Custom Edition.

Best regards,
    Krzysztof Bzowski

ket
    Participant

Hi,

Please check in the Output window for any errors for the pre-debug steps, change the filter to show output from VisualGDB Launcher.

kbzowski
    Participant

Everything looks good there. No errors. Only information about successfully loaded modules.
    I tried also set one export command (which works when it is added to .bashrc) – same thing. No error – doesn’t work.

VisualGDB: Executing predebug actions
    VisualGDB: Run "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/packages/gcc/4.8.1/lib64:/packages/gcc/4.8.1/lib" in directory "/home/kbzowski/femafat" on kbzowski@xx.xx (SSH)
    VisualGDB: Launching gdb
    VisualGDB: Run "/packages/gdb/7.6/bin/gdb --interpreter mi --args "$(TargetPath)"" in directory "$(BuildDir)" on kbzowski@xx.xx (SSH)
    VisualGDB: Executing postdebug actions

ket
    Participant

Hi,

It looks like the pre-debug steps are executed fine. The problem here is that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable should be specified as part of gdb’s environment, setting the variable in a separate command will not pass it to gdb as it is executed in a different channel.

To set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable for gdb, please go to Debug settings in VisualGDB Project Properties. There switch to using a custom GDB executable, then press on Customize and add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable definition to the environment variables there. Note that this will not work if you are using a gdbserver (building and debugging on a different machine). We will add an option to specify the debug environment in the case of gdbservers in the next version of VisualGDB.

kbzowski
    Participant

It works, but It would be very nice to see Custom Debug Step connected to GDB launching.
    Many people use Environmental Modules to load libraries before debugging – so I think it will be helpful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.