OpenOCD based debugging does not work with STM32F723

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB OpenOCD based debugging does not work with STM32F723

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    UdoEberhardt
    Participant

Hi,

I downloaded the VisualGDB trial and wanted to use it with STM32F723 on this eval board: http://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/32f723ediscovery.html but failed.

The board has an integrated ST-Link v2.1 which is detected by VGDB automatically, fine. But when I hit the Test button then I get the output below. It looks like the OpenOCD scripts do not support this MCU.

I found that in the “System Workbench for STM32” IDE from AC6 there is a different set of .cfg scripts. With this IDE the board works without issues.

Is there an easy way to fix that?

This also raises a more general question: What is Sysprogs’ strategy to maintain support for current and upcoming STM32 chips and boards?

Thanks.

Udo

Test output:

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0 (2017-08-21) [https://github.com/sysprogs/openocd]
    Licensed under GNU GPL v2
    For bug reports, read
    http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
    hla_swd
    adapter speed: 3000 kHz
    Info : The selected transport took over low-level target control. The results might differ compared to plain JTAG/SWD
    adapter speed: 2000 kHz
    adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
    srst_only separate srst_nogate srst_open_drain connect_deassert_srst
    Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
    Info : Unable to match requested speed 2000 kHz, using 1800 kHz
    Info : clock speed 1800 kHz
    Info : STLINK v2 JTAG v28 API v2 SWIM v17 VID 0x0483 PID 0x374B
    Info : using stlink api v2
    Info : Target voltage: 3.204715
    Info : stm32f7x.cpu: hardware has 8 breakpoints, 4 watchpoints
    target halted due to debug-request, current mode: Thread
    xPSR: 0x01000000 pc: 0x08000234 msp: 0x20000800
    VisualGDB_OpenOCD_Ready
    Info : accepting ‘gdb’ connection on tcp/50634
    Info : device id = 0x10006452
    Warn : Cannot identify target as a STM32 family.
    Error: auto_probe failed
    Error: Connect failed. Consider setting up a gdb-attach event for the target to prepare target for GDB connect, or use ‘gdb_memory_map disable’.
    Error: attempted ‘gdb’ connection rejected

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The mainstream OpenOCD usually starts supporting STM32 devices a few months after they are released (we rebuild our package from the latest sources regularly).

If you don’t want to wait, please try replacing the OpenOCD binary in %LOCALAPPDATA%\VisualGDB\EmbeddedDebugPackages\com.sysprogs.arm.openocd\bin with the version from the AC6. Normally no script modification should be necessary, however if it doesn’t help, please try using the script from the AC6 distro as well.

If this does not work, please let us know and we will be happy to help.

UdoEberhardt
    Participant

Hi,

I copied the openocd bin and script files from the AC6 distro and now it works. Using the bins only does not solve it.

Thank you for your help!

Udo

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.