Opening serial monitor directly?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Opening serial monitor directly?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ntldr
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve just installed VisualGDB and was fiddling around with some embedded devices for evaluation purposes. Thus far everything seems very well rounded. However I’ve not yet been able to find out how I’d directly open the serial monitor without debugging.

I have a custom esp32-based board here which has no JTAG broken out, so I’m using a direct USB <-> Serial adapter for programming and monitoring. Configuring the project settings to open a terminal during debugging and leaving it open afterwards works. However this requires me to compile & flash each time I want to debug. The Debug -> Attach to Running Embedded Firmware sounds like the thing I’m looking for, but that attempts to flash the software as well.

Is there any way to directly open the serial monitor with the configured settings, without launching a debugging session or flashing the program?

Thanks

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No problem, please try this build: VisualGDB-5.4.105.3134.msi

We have added a context menu command for ESP-IDF projects to open the raw terminal (please note that the raw terminal is only supported on the Custom edition and higher, so the command won’t appear for the Embedded and Linux editions of VisualGDB).

MystikReasons
    Participant

Would it also be possible to add this feature (open the serial monitor withouth programming/debugging) for normal Embedded projects? (In my case for STMs)

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Unfortunately this would be not that easy due to the differences between the VC++-based projects and projects fully controlled by VisualGDB (e.g. ESP-IDF). That said, we are planning to add support for embedded projects to the Advanced CMake Project Subsystem in the next major VisualGDB release, so we should be able to add this command there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.