NXP i.MX RT register definitions

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB NXP i.MX RT register definitions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tm123
    Participant

Hi,

So I got a J-Link recently, managed to follow this tutorial;

https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/arm/imxrt/

and it all worked fine. However I am trying to look at registers and tried to give VisualGDB the .XML file that NXP ships that describes all the register but it doesn’t like it.

Then I saw this tutorial;

https://visualgdb.com/documentation/hwregs/

And it seems the NXP layout doesn’t match the one VisualGDB wants, is there any way to convert over or a definition file anywhere? Or are my only chances to manually create the definitions myself?

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for confirming your license, we have linked it to your account.

Indeed, VisualGDB internally uses its own format to define the registers. However, it also supports the SVD file format used for modern ARM devices. Normally, if the register file was not automatically imported, you can click the “locate” link in the Hardware Registers window and point VisualGDB to the SVD file, and it will get automatically converted into the VisualGDB format.

The logic for importing the SVD files is open-source and is available here: https://github.com/sysprogs/BSPTools/blob/master/libraries/BSPGenerationTools/SVDParser.cs

If this doesn’t help, please upload the SDK that did not get properly imported to a file sharing service (e.g. DropBox) and post a link there so that we can investigate it further.

tm123
    Participant

The file originally ships as a .xml extension and it seems renaming the file to the .svd extension fixed it. It loaded in properly after feeding it in. Awesome, glad it’s supported.

support
    Keymaster

Good to know it works. BTW, if the file uses the SVD format, it should have been imported automatically together with the rest of the SDK. Feel free to share a link to the SDK and we will make sure it gets handled fully automatically next time.

tm123
    Participant

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/download/0fe377594c9f733529173adcf7bde340

The file was under devices>MIMXRT1021, it’s just labelled “MIMXRT1021.xml”

tm123
    Participant

If it’s any help this is the actual error;

VisualGDB version: 5.5.7.3666
    ------------------ System.InvalidOperationException ------------------
    System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (2, 2). ---> System.InvalidOperationException: <device xmlns=''> was not expected.
    at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderMCUDefinition.Read8_MCUDefinition()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(Stream stream)
    at BSPEngine.XmlTools.LoadObject[_Ty](String xmlFile, Type[] extraTypes)
    at VisualGDB.Add_In.Tool_Windows.WPF.HardwareRegisters.HardwareRegistersToolControl.ControllerImpl.ImportRegisterDefinition(Boolean isAuxiliary)
    trace=[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize:283, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize:21, BSPEngine.XmlTools.LoadObject:49, VisualGDB.Add_In.Tool_Windows.WPF.HardwareRegisters.HardwareRegistersToolControl+ControllerImpl.ImportRegisterDefinition:147]
    ------------------ Inner exception ------------------
    ------------------ System.InvalidOperationException ------------------
    System.InvalidOperationException: <device xmlns=''> was not expected.
    at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderMCUDefinition.Read8_MCUDefinition()
    trace=[Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderMCUDefinition.Read8_MCUDefinition:0]

support
    Keymaster

Thanks, we have updated VisualGDB to fix the issue: VisualGDB-5.5.8.3753.msi

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.