Non-virtual folders

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Non-virtual folders

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    boazmetry
    Participant

Is it possible to create non-virtual tree/directories/folders (like normal Visual studio) and not virtual rather then the work of creating both every time?

support
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, it is hard to suggest anything specific based on the description you provided, as VisualGDB supports many different project types and configurations.
    In order for us to provide any help with this, we need to know the exact configuration you have.
    Please provide complete and detailed steps showing how you configure your project:

1. The steps should begin with launching Visual Studio. They should include every step necessary to create the project from scratch.
    2. The steps should include uncropped screenshots of all wizard pages, VisualGDB Project Properties pages involved in creating the project.
    3. Please describe the exact behavior you would like to achieve (e.g. some items appear in Solution Explorer in certain order) based on the previously provided steps, so that we can point out the relevant settings.

You can read more about the best way to report VisualGDB issues in our problem reporting guidelines.

It also looks like your support period has expired, so we would kindly ask you to renew it here: https://sysprogs.com/splm/mykey

boazmetry
    Participant

Hi,

Support renewed.

I’m trying to import a project (STM32, C code, new project made with STM Mx) with folders tree already made. The problem that visual-gdb (unlike STM Ide for example) doesn’t build the tree inside the solution explorer of visual studio.

In this case I have to build a new tree made of virtual folders inside visual studio/visual gdb. I prefer to work  with “real” folders rather than virtual folders inside visual studio (as original visual studio projects).

For example on STM32 IDE when you import a folder it creates the whole folders tree structure inside the IDE project.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

VisualGDB does support grouping of source files by folders and it is enabled by default for many project types.

If it’s not working, please do provide the steps and screenshots we requested. We will not be able to help you unless you do so because we do not know what you are doing and why it is not working.

boazmetry
    Participant

I understand. I’ll make the screenshots.

I actually used your step by step tutorial for STM32CubeMX (without the FreeRTOS): https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/arm/stm32/cube/

Then right click the base folder on solution explorer and select “Add->Import folder recursively”, then select the folder and the files are added without the folders structure on the solution explorer.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by boazmetry.
    rike
    Participant

Hi, I believe I have the same issue as mentioned above.

The project structure in my solution does not necessarily represent the physical project structure. If i want to include an existing folder with its files in the solution, I have to first create a virtual source folder representing the physical one and then add the files to it. It is not possible to add an existing folder with its files without this workaround. In case of adding e.g. a new library, the whole library structure has to be recreated manually.

The expected behavior would be that whenever a new folder is added to the physical project structure, it also appears in the solution.

rike
    Participant

Project type: Advanced CMake

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by rike.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Advanced CMake projects can group targets and sources in numerous ways configurable via VS project properties for the top-level project node (see this page). The default behavior is grouping by types and paths. However, if you start adding virtual folders on either target level or project level, it stops grouping them by physical paths and uses virtual folders instead.

As long as you don’t have any virtual folders defined and have not disabled grouping by physical path, it should work just fine. If not, please share a screenshot of your Solution Explorer, grouping settings from the VS Project Properties, and let us know the actual physical paths of the underlying objects.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.