New User question

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB New User question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    WilWebber
    Participant

Dear all,

as a long time C++ programmer, I thought it’s time for a test of using VisualGDB for Raspi. I followed exaclty the documentation and was able to run and debug the “Hello World” example. At the first run, it was not clear to me, where the “cout” output goes, but I did not care. Afterwards I added some printf() lines and when I was trying to debug again, an “XMing missing” message came up. I pressed <Cancel> and afterwards VS locked up. I aborted VS in the taskmanager, launched VS again and removed the printf() lines again. But from now on, this “XMing missing” always is shown. So I assigned the “\\SysGCC\raspberry\TOOLS\PortableSmartty\Xming\Xming.exe” to “Use an existing XMing installation”. When I now let the program run/debug, the “XMing missing” will not be shown anymore, but after the debug session ends, VS is still ALWAYS locking up!

So here’s my question: why was it working for the very first time (even w/o this XMing missing message) and what can I check that VS is not hanging after debugging? Which cached informations could I clean up, in order to get to the beginning state back again?

Wil

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Normally VisualGDB should automatically download/install a compatible XMing version. Please try installing the latest VisualGDB 5.4 Preview 3 and then reset the XMing location via Tools->Options->VisualGDB->General->Tools->Full path to xming.exe.

Next time you start debugging, VisualGDB will suggest automatically installing xming. Please proceed with the installation and ensure your firewall/antivirus doesn’t block it from running and accepting connections.

WilWebber
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I re-installed xming (an older release) and now it’s working smoothly.

As VAX user, the TAB settings are aparently not right in VisualDBG, as it takes the ‘tab’ and not the ‘indent’ value, when pressing <Enter> for a new-line..

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Good to know it works.

You can customize the tab/space behavior for VisualGDB projects via Tools->Options->Text Editor->C/C++ (VisualGDB).

If it doesn’t help, please provide a specific example (exact steps, expected behavior, actual behavior) and we will help you configure VisualGDB accordingly.

WilWebber
    Participant

Thanx for the reply. I know, I can customize these options. But under VS I usually use TAB:4 and INDENT:2 (uncommon – I know, but historical). VS/VAX Code formatter and everything else works perfect with these settings.
    But VDBG behaves different! I have to use TAB:2 for getting the same results (at least while editing) – which will actually destroy all my current code formatting.

How to test:
    – use VS formatting, set TABSIZE=4 INDENTSIZE=2
    – Enter:

void main() {
    }

– Insert a line right behind the open curly brace and see how many indents you get
    – now use VDBG formatting (project options..), use also TABSIZE=4 INDENTSIZE=2
    – insert a new line to the code again..

even when the VDBG settings are TABSIZE=2, INDENTSIZE=2, it indents differently..

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Please try this build: http://sysprogs.com/files/tmp/VisualGDB-5.4.3.2362.msi

Then enable the Clang Format-based formatting engine via Tools->Options->Text Editor->C/C++ (VisualGDB)->Formatting Engine and reopen your project.

It will handle the formatting settings you mentioned correctly and will also let you tweak various advanced formatting settings via a graphical formatting style editor that can be opened via the “format” icon at the top right corner of the source file editor.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.