Need VisualGDB to not change Make commands

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Need VisualGDB to not change Make commands

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BitFlipper
    Participant

I have my own build system and would like to bypass VGDB for build, clean and rebuild actions. However when I open the VGDB properties window, at the top it shows a link “The Visual Studio Project Properties appear to be inconsistent. Click here to repair.”. Clicking on the link blows away my custom NMake* values and in the VS project file and replaces it with its own.

I can partially work around this issue by creating custom actions under “Build actions” and “Clean actions”, however I don’t see one for “Build all actions”, which I need. I need to distinguish between “build” and “build all” (or rebuild).

Is there a way to tell VGDB to not check or change these values in the VS project file?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Currently the /rebuild command simply executes a clean sequence followed by the build sequence.
    You can safely ignore the warning message after replacing the build commands. As long as you keep the “primary output” point to the .vgdbsettings file all VisualGDB functionality will work.

BitFlipper
    Participant

OK thanks for the info. For now I’m just going to ignore the warning. I’m settings up a system that will be used by other developers as well and they will have to be made aware that they should not click on the warning link.

Due to the complexity of our project, I have written my own configure, sync and build system that bypasses all of VGDB’s functionality. The only thing it is used for now is for debugging. VGDB is a good product, but if you need something a bit more out of the ordinary it has some limitations. Since I need it to work this way, here are some things that would make it more flexible:

1. Recognize environment variables in the list of SSH Hosts. Then we can have something like $(BUILD_USER)@$(BUILD_HOST) which makes the VGDB project portable (currently I’m experimenting with modifying VGDB’s list of host files with some luck).
    2. Allow the build steps to be completely disabled, including checking/changing the make commands in the VS project.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.