Multiple users on a large porting project?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Multiple users on a large porting project?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    bycrom
    Participant

I am porting a large project that runs on OSX (Xcode) and Windows (Visual Studio 2015). On windows I have installed the VisualGDB tool and it really is great, it has enabled me to quickly progress with our port to linux.

My question is I have begun assigning other team members porting work of our subprojects but have run into a snag.

Specifically files of the type…

*.vcxproj
    *.vgdbsettings

… need to be committed (git) to the codebase as we move ahead in the port but these files contain user specific data like ip addresses for remote linux boxes, paths, etc. This becomes a hassle when another team member has to debug a specific module since they need to modify these files to point to correct linux machines, etc, before they can start working.

How does this work with multiple team members? We will eventually have five members on the port project for the initial port, and for future maintenance has bugs/features are worked on.

I was hoping to find a way to configure these specific user settings in some local configuration file, etc, but did not find anything. I am hoping there is something like this.

Please let me know if you need anymore information.

Thank you,

Dennis

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No problem. VisualGDB actually provides a few mechanisms specifically aimed at simplifying the workflow for multiple users:

• In order to remove the user-specific host/user names from the settings files, please consider defining host aliases (e.g. “Main build machine”) referencing them from the project settings instead (see this tutorial).
    • Please consider moving other user-specific settings to custom per-user variables (see this tutorial). The values of the variables will be stored separately in the .vgdbsettings.<username>.user files, so you can avoid checking them into source control.

You may also find the team settings useful for quickly deploying common configuration parameters to multiple computers in your team.

That said, this will address the settings in the .vgdbsettings files. If you believe the .vcxproj files also contain some user-specific values, please let us know the details and we will try to suggest a way to handle them as well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.