Multiple project configuration

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Multiple project configuration

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ralphc
    Participant

Hi,

I’m currently evaluating VisualGDB for a new project I’m about to start work on. I anticipate that this project will have a number of libraries and applications as well as test assets and other files.
    e.g Something like….

SourceDir
    ->Library1Dir
    ->Library2Dir
    ->TestCodeDir
    ->TestAssetsDir
    ->Application1Dir
    My question is what is the best way to synchronize my code from Windows to Linux? I’ve tried the auto upload feature but that will only upload files within the project folder and not files external to the folder. The alternative technique is to map a windows folder to a Linux folder but it appears I would have to do this for every folder within my project which is a bit annoying. I’ve attempted to map the root folder of the project (SourceDir in the example above) but when I try to build one of the projects make says it can’t find a makefile which makes sense since there is no makefile in the root of the project.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

ralphc

ket
    Participant

Hi,

For large project trees, we would advise using shared directories.
    When using shared directories, make only the root directory containing all the project directories shared. Then use the directories within it as source directories for projects.

If these directories are going to be made into separate VisualGDB projects in one solution anyway, then you will not need to setup the entire root directory for one project. You should just setup the dependencies between the projects and have each project handle its sources separately.

ralphc
    Participant

Hi Ket,

I managed to get it working today. I originally tried sharing the root directory but for some reason when I was building the projects within root it was searching for a Makefile in the root directory and not the project directory. Starting with a new solution and new project files sorted things out.

Thanks for the help. Great product. Any chance of CMake support? Would make VisualGDB even better.

Thanks.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

What level of CMake support would you like? Just wizard/makefile updating or something more specific?

ralphc
    Participant

Hi,

I’d like to be able to create the vcxproj, Makefile, vgdbsettings, debug/release.mak files all from a CMake file. This means that I can just store the CMake files in version control and not the VisualGDB project files. I think this would require a change to CMake with the addition of a new generator for use with VisualGDB. I suppose this isn’t really Sysprogs responsibility but the CMake community’s?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, this would require quite a lot of effort making a new generator for CMake. Currently we have no plans of doing that, however if anyone from the community volunteers to provide such support, we will provide them as much help as we can.

Note that the .vgdbsettings file also contains debugging settings, so it’s hard to generate it purely based on the cmake file.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.