Multiple FTDI Debug ports

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Multiple FTDI Debug ports

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dedvalson
    Participant

Hi,

If it is possible, I would like to run two separate instances of Visual Studio debugging two separate devices using two different FTDI JTAG debuggers (interface/ftdi/tumpa.cfg).

I see the line  target remote :$$SYS:GDB_PORT$$ in the Startup GDB Commands window but I can’t determine where this is set.

I assume I need to make a copy of the tumpa.cfg file but I don’t quite see what I need to change.

Can you give me a pointer on where to specify which Tumpa board.

Thanks,

Don

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We haven’t tested the tumpa adapter directly, but for the directly supported interfaces, VisualGDB can handle multiple instances automatically. Please try locating the %LOCALAPPDATA%\VisualGDB\EmbeddedDebugPackages\com.sysprogs.arm.openocd\QuickSetup\interfaces.xml file and search for Olimex ARM-USB-OCD-H.

You can create a similar entry for tumpa, specifying:

• USB VID/PID/interface
    • OpenOCD script file
    • OpenOCD command for setting the serial number (should be ftdi_serial, same as for Olimex)

You will also need to update the EDP.XML file (search for Olimex ARM-USB-OCD-H again).

Once you edit the files and restart Visual Studio, Tumpa devices will appear in the “USB Devices” view inside Debug Settings, and VisualGDB will automatically pass the serial number to OpenOCD when it detects multiple instances.

Feel free to attach the edited files here (please pack them into a .zip or .7z file) and we will ship the changes together with the upcoming OpenOCD updates.

dedvalson
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the pointer, it worked perfectly.

I have attached the files.

This will save me a lot of time.

Don

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Thanks, we have updated the definitions on our side and will include them in the next release of the OpenOCD package.

dedvalson
    Participant

Hi,

I have been using this regularly and it has save me so much effort. I really appreciate your input.

I wanted to ask if it might be possible to add one more minor feature in a future release. When I pull down the menu “Debug Using” dropdown on the Debug properties page I see 4 “Tumpa” entries since I have 4 boards. Underneath that it does give the USB address in small letters but those are hard to remember. If it would be possible to allow the user to rename these entries (or at least add a 1-4 at the end) that would be very helpful.

I know this is minor but it would be nice.

Don

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestion. This is in our roadmap, however as it involves changes beyond a trivial change of IDs, it has a relatively low priority. We should be able to add this feature next time we update the device selection GUI, or if other users request it as well.

dedvalson
    Participant

Hi,

I wanted to let you know that when I installed the most recent debug methods (20210125) the changes that I sent you above were only half included. The additions to the interfaces.xml were there but the additions to edp.xml were not. It wasn’t hard to add them back in but I thought you might want to fix that before the next release.

Thanks,

Don

support
    Keymaster

Thanks, we have rechecked it and made sure they are properly included in the latest 20210301 release.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.