MSP430 Hardware Registers view not working

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB MSP430 Hardware Registers view not working

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PeterU
    Participant

Using:

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 Version 16.11.4

VisualGDB version 5.6(Beta 5, build 4336)

While debugging an MSP430FR2355 the Hardware Register window is blank no named registers. The variable watch widows does work as expected

Regards,

Daniel

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No problem, we can gladly look into this. Do you mind sharing a screenshot of the entire Visual Studio window demonstrating the issue? The screenshot should also show the Solution Explorer and at least one source file (it’s important for checking for common module loading issues).

PeterU
    Participant

Screen shot of issue

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Thanks, we have reproduced the issue and released an updated toolchain with the correct register definitions. You can install it via Tools->VisualGDB->Manage VisualGDB Packages.

PeterU
    Participant

Thanks, for updating the tool chain and fixing the errors; the hardware register view seems to operate properly.

On this new release the previous patch https://sysprogs.com/w/forums/topic/msp430-debug-probe-fails-to-reset-after-programming/  was not included, so I had to replace msp430-gdbproxy.exe again.

Note: I only replace msp430-gdbproxy.exe the  MSP430.dll in the zip does not seem to work.

Regards,

Daniel

support
    Keymaster

No problem, we have updated the toolchain with the new msp430.dll. Feel free to re-download it via VisualGDB Package Manager (same revision number).

PeterU
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for your help downloaded the update, it now has the new .dll but uses has the old msp430-gdbproxy.exe. I had to copy the new msp430-gdbproxy.exe in to get “start without debugging”(Ctrl F5) to work.

I would have thought you would have the new msp430-gdbproxy.exe in the new package?

Thanks again

support
    Keymaster

No worries. The MSP430 toolchain has a relatively low priority, so we would normally only update the gdbproxy when releasing a new major update to minimize the risk of breaking backward compatibility.

That said, if you have been successfully using the new gdbproxy with the new msp430.dll for a while, the chance of unexpected issues is very low. We have updated the toolchain package again with the latest gdbproxy.

PeterU
    Participant

Thanks, current using it on a project and will inform you if I encounter any issues.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.