MSBuild project changing default command for arm-none-eabi-ar

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB MSBuild project changing default command for arm-none-eabi-ar

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    barak
    Participant

Hi all,

I am evaluating using VisualGDB for my company to use in an upcoming project. We currently have our source code building in a mix of cygwin and makefiles on a windows 10 host. I tried making a MSBuild project from one of our libraries but I am running into an issue: the default command for linking the library is arm-none-aebi-ar but I need to change it to arm-none-aebi-gcc-ar so I can use link time optimisation.

If I create a Makefile project I see that I can edit mcu.mak to change the AR default and then the library links as desired. How do you update the commands for linking/compiling when using a VisualGDB MSBuild project?

Regards,

Barak.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please try this build: http://sysprogs.com/files/tmp/VisualGDB-5.3.8.1797.msi

We have added an option on the “Librarian” page to select between ar and gcc-ar.

barak
    Participant

Hi,

thanks for the prompt response! I updated to the file you linked above and I can see the new option in the “Librarian” page. The behaviour has changed but now it returns an error running the command:

c:\programdata\gnu tools arm embedded\bin\../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/6.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ar.exe: invalid option — @

I can see it use the gcc.ar.exe now:

C:\ProgramData\GNU Tools ARM Embedded\bin\arm-none-eabi-gcc-ar.exe -r ../../VisualGDB/Debug/mylib.a {lots of .o files}

If I actually copy the gcc-ar.exe line that appears above the error I just pasted and run it from the command line it executes successfully, so I am not sure what is going wrong. Do you need some more info from me? This also occurs if I switch to the sysgcc that you can download via VisualGDB.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by barak.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks, this looks like a known gcc-ar bug.

Please try this build, we have added a workaround to it: http://sysprogs.com/files/tmp/VisualGDB-5.3.8.1800.msi

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.