Moving license key to another computer

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Moving license key to another computer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tianllau
    Participant

Can I move the license key to another computer if the support period is expired?

support
    Keymaster

Yes, as long as the amount of activations is within the fair use limits, we can handle it for you even if support has expired. Please contact our support with your key information and we will get back to you shortly.

devrope
    Participant

Why doesn’t the button “Revert to trial” deactivates on your servers so we can move our activations ourselves?
    Now in Corona times we work from home sometimes and not always remoting to the office computer, for obvious reasons (hardware needed).
    So I need my perfectly valid and purchased license on my home computer temporarily.

support
    Keymaster

This is done to ensure fair use (otherwise one could backup the previously issued activation key and restore it after a deactivation has been completed).

If you would like to use the same license from multiple computers, we can gladly switch it to a floating license that tracks simultaneous active sessions instead of activations (requires continuous Internet connection). Please contact our sales if you would like to do that.

devrope
    Participant

Thanks, we’ll consider it.
    But will the floating license prevent use even if the Internet goes down for a few minutes or hours?
    That does happen sometimes, you know, and then we wouldn’t be able to work 🙁

support
    Keymaster

This is correct. If the Internet connection goes offline, the floating license will stop working.

We understand your concerns, however we are not able to offer any other licensing schemes other than floating and seat-based.

MrZANE
    Participant

Should this be understood as that there is no grace period (Time that the software works as normal without internet connection) ?

So if I have spotty wifi connection that sometime drops will that immediately throw me out of visual studio or prevent compilation from working?

support
    Keymaster

Our regular licenses are activated per seat. The activation is permanent, so it will work without Internet connection as well.

If you have specifically requested to switch your license to a floating license, it will require continuous Internet connection. It will update the session state once every several minutes. If our server is unreachable during 2 or more attempts to update the key, VisualGDB will stop working and you would need to restart Visual Studio. Again, this only applies if you have specifically requested a floating license.

According to our records, the license associated with your email address is not a floating license. Hence it uses permanent activation and will not require Internet connection afterwards.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.