Mounting & Unmounting

Sysprogs forums Forums WinCDEmu Mounting & Unmounting

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    GreenLED
    Participant

I’m not really sure how the driver works, but it would really be much more efficient for me if instead of removing the drive entirely when I “EJect” from “My Computer” it would just remove the image and NOT the drive. Some images seem to not play well when you’re doing a multi-disc install. Could you please consider this. Also, I find the wording “Mount (other?) images” a bit strange. How come it doesn’t just say “Mount”?

Did I mention your program is flawless otherwise? Amazing app, keep it up!

Grateful Network Admin

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi All,

have the same issue here. The actual image is unmounted when selecting eject however, it still holds the drive letter in this case V: with no image mounted to it.
    Does anyone else have the same problem, its quite annoying since im not able to mount any other image or assign the letter to this particular drive letter.
    Any of you have a work around other then a reboot?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Baz

GreenLED
    Participant

I am thinking of trying to develop something using the Alcohol 52% driver, but time is not something I really have right now. Alcohol handles this beautifully, but it’s not portable. I’m very surprised at the lack of support for portable mounting. Microsoft actually has an app that does this, but it doe snot support .mds format or those other exotic formats we all know and love.

support
    Keymaster

It can be also implemented by adding a small change to WinCDEmu driver. I’ll consider it in the future versions.

GreenLED
    Participant

When do you plan to have a new version out? I know you don’t have all the time in the world, but I’m just trying to plan things out since I administrate networks and this tool would actually be EXTREMELY useful. But, because of this drawback I am forced to use other tools that require installation because they tackle the problem in a somewhat cleaner fashion at the moment.

support
    Keymaster

In fact, I’m travelling around till August and only checking my messages once or twice per day. I assume, somewhat in the August I will probably have some time. But definitely not before. If you have good C++ background, I could show you what to hack in WinCDEmu sources to add this feature.

GreenLED
    Participant

I’m really wishing I had read through an entire C++ book right now. I’ll wait till you have the time. I’ll keep my eye on the forum. Happy travels, :).

VGA
    Participant

Maybe there should be an option in the general program settings called “Uninstall the device when ejecting/unmounting an image”

Anonymous
    Participant

I’m having the same problem with the first user. For multi-discs installation, if the first disc execute an “eject” command, the second disc is not recognized. I’m guessing everytime we mount an iso, a new device id is created. Since the device id is different each time, the installation cannot proceed. Can we either retain the virtual drive, or use the same id for each mount point, ie F:, G:, H:, etc. Thank you for listening.

gonwk
    Participant

@GreenLED wrote:

I am thinking of trying to develop something using the Alcohol 52% driver, …

Hi GreenLED, are you saying that Alcohol is Easier to use and Less Problems!?!?

Thanks,

G!:)

GreenLED
    Participant

It’s been a while since I used WinCDEemu, but I don’t think the problem is the device ID. (I haven’t checked, so I don’t know). In any event, the “eject” operation (I think) should simply unmount the current image from the current volume. The problem I think installers have is once they have initialized a volume (scanned for it to see if it’s there) and you go and remove it, the installer is not going to go to the trouble of re-scanning. It simply assumes (as would be normal) that you are using the same volume to install. There is no reason on earth that you would be switching volumes in the middle of an installation (at least in the normal way of doing things). Also, since many of the ISOs people run are older (since they backup easily), this kind of operation is expected from the installer. I would not mind donating a few bucks to see this implemented. I really like the simplicity this application provides, but in this one area, it is lacking.

GreenLED
    Participant

No, I am not saying that. I can’t even remember what I was thinking when I said that. WinCDEmu is definitely easier. It needs some polish though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.