Measurement suggestion please

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Measurement suggestion please

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sidprice
    Participant

I have VisualGDB custom edition and I am working on STM32F4 project. I need to measure the time between to events in my code and I was hoping VGDB may be able to help me do this. Is this possible, or do I need to use the old method of toggling a port bit and using a ‘scope?

support
    Keymaster

Please follow the tutorial below for measuring the time between events on embedded devices: https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/arm/chronometer/

sidprice
    Participant

I have tried the Chronometer, but it does not show what I want.

I have set two breakpoints with actions to simply output a message and continue. The Chronometer does not show the time between those two breakpoints. It shows the time between the individual breakpoints. For example BP 1 is hit it shows the time since BP 1 was last hit.

Can Chronometer always show the time since the last event, even when the event is a different one?

support
    Keymaster

The chronometer does show the time since the last event, even if it was of another type. You can double-check it by setting 2 breakpoints inside the LEDBlink loop. If it doesn’t work as expected, please share the repro steps along with the relevant screenshots per our problem reporting guidelines and we will investigate it.

You can also switch the chronometer to show the absolute timestamps (i.e. from the beginning of the session) to minimize confusion.

P.S. If the absolute timestamps don’t make sense, some code inside your project might be resetting the ARM cycle counter that is used by the chronometer. E.g. VisualGDB’s profiler does that to avoid overflows.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.