mbed failed to symlink arm-none-eabi-addr2line.exe

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB mbed failed to symlink arm-none-eabi-addr2line.exe

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dave93cab
    Participant

I have a fresh install of visualgdb, created an mbed project, followed the patching of gcc.py instuctions but cannot build my project (which is just blinky). I get the following build error:

Failed to symlink C:\<project dir>\Build\NUCLEO_F411RE\Debug\.ccachedir\arm-none-eabi-addr2line.exe to C:\<homedir>\AppData\Local\VisualGDB\CCache\ccache.exe

Any ideas? Thanks

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This looks like an issue with mbed itself rather than VisualGDB. It could be caused by a buggy platform definition, incompatible settings, or unsupported combination of tools. Please try building the project manually using mbed-cli and check if the problem persists.

You can extract the command line used by VisualGDB by locating the build command line in the VisualGDB Build window (shown in cyan), right-clicking on it and selecting “Dump to a batch file”.

If the project builds manually, but doesn’t build under VisualGDB, please let us know and we will help you configure VisualGDB to match the results of the manual build.

dave93cab
    Participant

Wasn’t using the ARM toolchain, manually selecting that fixed it.

EDIT: no it didn’t, sorry. will follow your advice above

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by dave93cab.
    dave93cab
    Participant

Where does the dump to batch file save the file? Doesn’t appear to do anything and I checked in the project folder. Thanks

dave93cab
    Participant

Ah ok so when I created a new project without ccache enabled I see the cyan, and that does export the command to batch file. I was clicking on the red error line, there is no cyan when ccache is enabled

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We have rechecked the command dumping with ccache enabled and it did work as expected. If it doesn’t work on your side, please share a screenshot of the entire Visual Studio window showing the VisualGDB Build log from the very beginning, and we will investigate this further.

dave93cab
    Participant

There’s not much in the log when I try to build it

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

This happens because the build fails due to an error shown on the screenshot. Most likely, your Visual Studio process does not have permissions to create symbolic links. Please try running Visual Studio as administrator.

dave93cab
    Participant

That worked but I am assuming that running VS as Administrator is not usually required? I will look into it further, thanks for the help

dave93cab
    Participant

Found a GPO to allow creation of symlinks, and it’s working. Thanks again

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.