Licence type decision

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Licence type decision

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hi, I’m currently comparing WinGDB and VisualGDB. What I need it for is to program in Visual Studio 2010 and remotely debug a c/c++ application built and running in an OpenSUSE VM.

However, I like to use my own build system (tup), because makefiles piss me off. The “network” licence doesn’T include “custom build szenarios”? So I wouldn’t be able to use a simple “tup upd” instead of “make” command? That seems like a very arbitrary, costly restriction.
    What does “start GDB interactively” mean anyway? GDB is always interactive, no..? What does “multiple build machines” mean? Can I not use distcc with VisualGDB / network type? I’m a little confused about these restrictions, they don’t seem to be very related to an IDE plugin at all. After all, VisualGDB could just wait for the build to finish before debugging…
    What does “custom GDBSERVER like setup” mean?
    Can I assign shortcuts to stuff like “debug with visualgdb”?

I would appreciate it if someone could explain why and how these restrictions apply to me and maybe if you can think of some szenario that I would be unhappy with if I went with VisualGDB.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Essentially, the Custom Edition unlocks the “Full Custom Configuration” menu in the Project Wizard. If you have not used it so far, Network Edition should suit your needs.

Below are the detailed answers to your questions:

1. With the Network Edition VisualGDB will only do the following to build your project:
    a. Copy source files
    b. Run a command line you have specified
    When you debug a project it will also run 1 command line that you provide.

With custom edition you can specify command lists (e.g. copy multiple directories, run some commands before/after GDB and so on). Essentially, you can do all of it with your custom script and tell the Network Edition to run it. However, if you plan to do those things frequently, the Custom Edition might save you some time by automating it.

2. “Start GDB interactively” refers to the “Start custom GDB session” in the Debug menu in Visual Studio. It is only useful if you want to experiment with various GDB settings without modifying project settings.

3. “Multiple build machines” refers to the full-custom configuration. With the Network Edition “build project” means “transfer files and execute 1 command line specified by you”. The command line can be arbitrary and can invoke any tools you wish. With the Custom Edition you could use VisualGDB functionality to run several commands on different machines (e.g. build your app on Linux machine A, then transfer it to Linux machine B and run GDB on machine B).

4. Custom GDBSERVER-like setup means that VisualGDB will
    a. Run your program that opens a connection on some port
    b. Run GDB so that it attaches to that port
    c. When GDB exits, VisualGDB will run another command line to stop the first program

You can script all of that yourself as well and let VisualGDB just start your script…

5. Yes, you can assign shortcuts to VisualGDB commands by using Visual Studio Options window as described on the FAQ page: http://visualgdb.com/support/faq.php

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact support or ask on the forum.

Anonymous
    Participant

If I buy the network edition and I sometime later I happen to need more features, can I upgrade to the ultimate/custom edition for the difference in price? That would ease my mind.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

For the first month, yes. If you upgrade later than 1 month after buying, the upgrade cost will include additional fees for extending your support period that are proportional to the time difference.

Anonymous
    Participant

Okay, I checked out the trial version. Seems to work, except that I don’t get any locals populated in the debugger? I rechecked on the website and it doesn’t say anything about locals, is this feature not supported?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Normally it is supported. However, it might not work if your GDB does not report any locals. Please create and send us a GDB log file so that we can tell you how to fix the locals in your case.

ket
    Participant

Thanks for the bug report. We have located and fixed the problem. The fix will be included in the upcoming 2.8 release.

The problem was only with the older gdb versions, gdb 7.1 and later versions work normally.

Anonymous
    Participant

Because of several bugs that have been found due to my/ bug reports and are to be fixed in 2.8, is there going to be a new trial period for the new version? When is the release date scheduled to be?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,
    We are planning a new release this week. Please contact sales@sysprogs.com and we will extend your trial period to 15 days more.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.