JLinkGDBServerCL

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB JLinkGDBServerCL

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Martijn
    Participant

Hello,

I am implementing a custom application to read and write data to a target using seggers RTT solution.

But now I have a problem, I need to connect to the JLinkGDBServerCL. When I start VisualGDB and run my app, it works fine. My app connects to the server that is started by visual GDB.

But when I stop visualGDB the JLinkGDBServerCL is stopped also.

The other way around, when I start my app first I start a JLinkGDBServerCL instance. But when I start VisualGDB it also starts a JLinkGDBServerCL instance that fails to connect to target.

So I thought that I could connect via TCP/IP in visualGDB to connect to my own started GDB server. I can see my instance is connected to VisualGDB and is reaching the breakpoint I put in.

But in visual studio it does not stop at the breakpoint. Asif it stopped on the moment the second JLinkGDBServerCL instance failed to connect.

Is it possible to let visual GDB connect to a JLinkGDBServerCL that is already running?

Martijn
    Participant

Sorry, was not really paying attention.

When i connect VisualGDB via TCP/IP to JLinkGDBServerCL is just works. I can break at breakpoints and send/receive data at the same time.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Good to know you got it to work. If you encounter further problems, feel free to let us know.

Martijn
    Participant

Yes, I did got it working. But not entirely the way I want.

I really would like to have some more freedom in whether I want to connect to a GDB server that is already running or let VisualGDB start a new server.

I selected to connect via TCP/IP and it works. But VisualGDB still starts a new server which fails obviously. For now I just ignore this message.

When I start VisualGDB first and after that my own app, it connects to the server VisualGDB started.

But when I stop debugging the GDB server dissappears also, this breaks the data connection with my application 🙁 .

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

You could select the “custom mode” as the debug method and specify “gdb –interpreter mi $(TargetPath)” as your command and “target remote :<port>” as the target selection command.

Then VisualGDB won’t take any extra steps like trying to run a GDB stub.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.