Issue with "Start without debugging"

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Issue with "Start without debugging"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wernert
    Participant

I’m thinking that “Start without debugging” may have a bug. It does not appear to load a new instance of my exe to the Raspberry PI. Instead it compiles etc, but when the app finally runs, it is still exactly the same one as before, despsite the fact that I made code changes. Only when I use “Start debugging” does it seem to actually load my changed code to the Raspberry PI.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks, the deployment was indeed skipped. We have added a default option to deploy it to the upcoming maintenance release.

wernert
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I’ve been playing a couply of days now with VisualGDB and its really a great tool. The only negative feedback I can give so far:

It takes very long from the time you click the start button, until the code is actually running on the Raspberry. Anything to speed this up would be a big plus. Also if there could at least be some ongoing feedback so one can see what’s happening it will help to not make it feel so long.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

What is the final size of the binary you’re debugging? If it’s several tens of megabytes, it could explain why deployment is slow. You can speed it up by adding a custom action that will strip it and deploy a stripped version (don’t forget to disable auto-deployment and don’t strip the version used by GDB to read symbols). We could also add a deployment progress window if it turns out that the deployment is the bottleneck.

Anonymous
    Participant

About VisualGDB slowness: we noticed also that it is really long to deploy to a target. On my project, I do not deploy with Visual GDB but with putty and it is really faster. I think SSH client in Visual GDB should be optimized.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Is uploading the same file with SmarTTY also slow? It is using the same SSH engine.

wernert
    Participant

When I first started to play with VisualGDB I was using it with a Raspberry Pi Model A and a WiFi dongle to provide the network interface. It was really slow then. But in the meantime I started using a Raspberry Model B+ and an actual ethernet cable connection. It is very fast now. Not sure if it was the Wifi connection that made it so much slower or not, but I’m quite happy with how it works now.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We received a lot of feedback from different customers regarding poor performance when using Raspberry Pi with WiFi, so we would suspect it to be the main cause. Let us know if you experience any problems with the wired connection.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.