Issue using the Arduino Blink examples

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Issue using the Arduino Blink examples

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    szohar
    Participant

Hi,

I am trying to evaluate the VisualGDB on the Blink example running on a 8266 D1 Mini

When trying to compile the provided example I commented out the gdbstub_init(); (doesn’t recognize it) I am getting an error eagle.app.v6.common.ld.h: No such file or directory I am running with the 2.5 version core.

I am not sure what is wrong.

Thanks
    Sharon

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It looks like your ESP8266 Arduino core might be corrupt. The easiest way to fix this would be to delete it and let VisualGDB automatically download the latest version of the core and all related tools.

szohar
    Participant

Hi,

This is very bad now, I remove the Arduino (no I don’t have Arduino anymore) bus still getting the exact same error.

xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc: error: C:\Users\Sharon\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.4.1/tools/sdk/ld/eagle.app.v6.common.ld.h: No such file or directory
    xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc: fatal error: no input files

I will appropriate if you can test a code before suggesting such a change.

Can you please check a simple code that works on 8266 D1 mini and send it to me. I need this ASAP.

Thanks

Sharon

support
    Keymaster

Based on your log, you are still using the old version of the ESP8266 core (2.4.1):

C:\Users\Sharon\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.4.1

Please follow the instructions from our previous reply and actually remove the core so that VisualGDB can install the latest one (version 2.5.0). We have checked it with the WeMOS D1 R1 target and it did build out-of-the-box.

szohar
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I don’t understand your instructions, I totally removed the Arduino IDE from my system, what do you mean by delete?

Thanks

Sharon

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for clarifying this. Removing the Arduino IDE from the system was not necessary, as the problem is likely caused by the ESP8266 Arduino core that we suggested to delete (if you are not familiar with this term, please see this explanation on StackExchange).

The directory of the core is actually mentioned in the error message you posted, so it should be very straight-forward to locate it.

That said, to reduce the chance of interference from other components you might have installed earlier, please try deleting (or actually first renaming) the entire Arduino packages folder:

C:\Users\Sharon\AppData\Local\Arduino15

This will ensure that there are no leftovers and you should be able to create the project per our tutorial.

szohar
    Participant

Hi,

I did remove the directory as suggested and now getting the below (it is getting ridicules)

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error expected ‘)’ before ‘/’ token Blink_2 C:\Users\Sharon\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.5.0\cores\esp8266\Arduino.h 169
    Error ‘build’ undeclared (first use in this function) Blink_2 <command-line>
    Error expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token Blink_2 <command-line>
    Error token “{” is not valid in preprocessor expressions Blink_2 <command-line>

Code is attached.

support
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, we could not reproduce the problem you described. Most likely it is caused by a corruption of some software components on your side. Please try installing VisualGDB on another machine and follow our ESP8266 tutorial to create a project.

szohar
    Participant

OK, this will not work.

I have a PC and a MAC I can’t get another PC just because you cant reproduce the problem. I am about to give up on this GDB since I am testing it for two different projects (STM32 and Arduino) and it is ridicules how much work is to get it working, totally unacceptable, doesn’t look as a professional solution.

support
    Keymaster

The problems you mentioned with STM32 arised from creating a non-relocatable type of project (despite the other type clearly shown in our tutorials) and ignoring the error messages that clearly showed the paths of the files that were not relocated, despite the editing instructions provided by our support. We do our best to make VisualGDB support many different scenarios and platforms and also publish tutorials describing various different setups, however it is beyond our capacity to guarantee that VisualGDB will work when the necessary setup steps shown in our tutorials are not followed.

The problems with ESP8266 you mentioned look like a corruption of a 3rd-party component (ESP8266 core) that is specific to your machine and unfortunately cannot be reproduced on our side (or fixed on the VisualGDB level).

The last STM32 problem you reported is caused by trying to manually build the STM32F3-specific peripheral driver for the STM32H7 device, despite VisualGDB having a clear and automatic system for selecting the drivers and libraries that are compatible with each device type.

We understand that you were looking for something different and wish you the best in finding the tool that will suit your requirements, however it looks this is not something we could offer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.