Is there a support for C ++ 17 in VisualGDB?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Is there a support for C ++ 17 in VisualGDB?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Ophidian14
    Participant

What exactly is this doing behind the scenes?  Have I sacrificed speed in accuracy in any way by choosing this setting?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It will basically restrict discovery of references to the main source file only. E.g. if you have a template function inside the main file, but it’s instantiated somewhere in a header file, that instantiation will be ignored and the function body won’t be colored properly (that only affects template functions and only if they are not used inside the main file itself).

It might also interfere with the ‘find all references’ functionality for translation unit-scoped entities (e.g. static functions), that are declared inside the main file, but used from headers (this won’t affect finding references for regular functions/classes, as it involves scanning the entire project using a different mechanism that is not affected by this setting).

Ophidian14
    Participant

Hmm.  Okay, thanks for explaining that and I’m going to experiment with things on this setting and see how it goes.

aronrubin
    Participant

In order to get c++17 features for STL I had to add a command line switch in the settings in addition to the normal set(CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD 17) directive in the cmake file.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Normally it should work automatically if you are using the latest VisualGDB 5.4 Preview 3, however setting it manually is a reasonable workaround if it doesn’t.

If you can confirm that the setting is not automatically picked up with the latest VisualGDB, please feel free to post a repro project here and we will investigate/fix this.

Ophidian14
    Participant

I wanted to report that I’ve been using “enable lightweight references” for awhile now and the boost to performance has been tremendous.  I’m achieving previously unseen levels of productivity.  The initial parse is much faster too, not just subsequent reparses.  I haven’t noticed any degradation in Intellisense accuracy.  Really recommend making this the default if possible.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for the update. We will make it default for new projects in the upcoming Preview 4.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.