interrupted install issue

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB interrupted install issue

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    thedixon
    Participant

If I am running install under a non-admin account, get to the point of system asking for an admin password, and then stop the installation – it leaves visual studio in unable to start state. Something gets triggered in privateregistry.bin in my VS appdata directory, that doesn’t let it start.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, this does not look like a VisualGDB-related bug. Normally it should not touch anything unless you go beyond the run-as-admin stage. This could be caused by some sort of a VS registry corruption or a corrupt installation. We would recommend trying to move away VS-related folders in your user account and restarting Visual Studio to recreate those folders.

thedixon
    Participant

It happened twice already (since I’m installing visual gdb bugfixed version a lot lately). I’d say it’s rather consistent. If I don’t interrupt the install process, and give it the admin password – it installs and works just great.

support
    Keymaster

Strange. Can you confirm that just installing VisualGDB again solves the problem?

thedixon
    Participant

No it doesn’t. I have to delete privateregistry.bin after that everything works. Considering that the only thing that happens between vs working and not working is the interrupted visual gdb install I strongly want to blame it.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, could not reproduce this. The problem could easily be caused by a corrupt VS installation on one specific machine. Please try enabling the debug logging for the installer:

msiexec /l* visualgdb.log /i VisualGDB.msi

Then reproduce the problem and check for Visual Studio-related entries in the log file. This should explain what exactly is done by the installer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.