Intellisense with 3rd party toolchain

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Intellisense with 3rd party toolchain

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    grindstaffp
    Participant

Is there a trick to getting intellisense to function when using a 3rd party toolchain? I am wanting to use arm gnu 10.2.1, which compiles the project ok, but intellisense is not happy. I have rebuilt the MSBuild & Intellisense for this toolchain and have selected Default(clang) under intellisense. I’ve included a couple of images to show the lack of syntax highlighting as well as the intellisense settings window. A side-effect to this is that Peek/Jump to Definition does not work.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

There is no special trick needed. First time you use the toolchain for a project, VisualGDB will run the gcc executable, extract its specs and build an IntelliSense.props file based on them. The file will be used to configure IntelliSense.

If something interferes with this (e.g. GCC fails to run during specs detection), the IntelliSense.props file may end up empty and won’t work.

You can try rebuilding the toolchain-specific files via VisualGDB Project Properties -> MSBuild Settings -> Regenerate MSBuild-specific files. If this doesn’t help, please try checking View->Other Windows->VisualGDB Diagnostics Console during the toolchain testing – it may explain why it fails.

Another workaround would be to copy the IntelliSense.props file from our ARM toolchain.

grindstaffp
    Participant

Thanks. I had previously regenerated the MSBuild-specific files to no avail. No errors were present in the diagnostic log after regenerating the files either. Replacing Intellisense.props in the new toolchain with the one from your toolchain seems to have worked. It still isn’t highlighting some things but its way better than it was.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We have rechecked the logic for detecting toolchain settings on the latest GNU ARM toolchain v10.2.1 and it worked as expected. It is hard to say what is causing the behavior your described, however it replacing the file manually works, we would simply advise doing so until we release a fully tested pre-packaged toolchain based on the latest GCC.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.