Installation with VS2019 and VS2019 preview

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Installation with VS2019 and VS2019 preview

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SdB
    Participant

Moin,

I installed the latest preview 5.5 and the installer allows me to select the Visual Studio instance where VisualGdb shall be installed. I have VS2019 and VS2019 preview installed. The selection dialog displays both VS instances as “Visual Studio Enterprise 2019”. I’d prefer to be able to differentiate between the preview version of Visual Studio and the regular version. It’s not a big issue but maybe you’ll find time to fix it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Sorry, the names shown in the VisualGDB installer come directly from the Visual Studio installer interfaces and it looks like the VS installer reports both versions the same way.

As this is a fairly rare scenario, our advice would be to find out experimentally which of the checkboxes corresponds to the instance you need. Once you select it, VisualGDB will remember it when installing updates, so you won’t need to do it again.

SdB
    Participant

I agree it is not a critical issue and use VisualGDB in both instances.Neverheless other installers are able to differentiate between Visual Studio versions. So for instance the VSIX Installer used to install extensions. See attached screenshot.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

The VSIX installer is likely using a different API than the VisualGDB installer. We do not use the VSIX installer because VisualGDB needs to install several components (e.g. MSBuild platform) that are shared between multiple VS instances and would not be handled correctly by the VSIX installer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.