How to program esp8266 from the bin, hex and elf files.

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB How to program esp8266 from the bin, hex and elf files.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kostbill
    Participant

Hello.

I don’t know if this is the correct forum for  this question, but here goes:

I build an application with visual gdb and microsoft visual studio community 2017 and now I want to run it.

I have some big bin, hex and elf files. How can I program the esp8266? I understad that I have to place different parts of code to different parts of its memory.

I can see that from the esp8266 download tool but I have no idea what to do next.

Any help?

Thanks,

Vasileios.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The easiest way to do this would be to select the “bootloader + gdb stub” debug method. If you don’t actually include a debug stub, you will be able to program your firmware, but not debug it. If you do include the stub, you will be able to debug it as well. You can read more about the gdb stub in this tutorial: https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/esp8266/gdbstub/

kostbill
    Participant

Hi,

I am following the instructions, however it seems that at about 100% of the downloading, the program stops responding and when I press the stop button it does nothing.

After a couple of minutes it returns to no debug mode. However the COM port is taken.

Do you know if other people are using the adafruit feather 8266 with success?

Thanks,

Vasileios.

kostbill
    Participant

Hello again.

I made a mistake previously and tried to debug the program. So now I just programmed it and it disconnected just fine and it works.

Now what I would really love to have, is my JTAG interface working :).

Thanks for your help,

Vasileios.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Good to know it works. Please feel free to follow up in the JTAG topic and we will try to suggest further diagnostic steps. E.g. we noticed that the JTAG test shows the “halted, PC=xxxx” line, while the actual debug session doesn’t. Can you confirm that behavior 3 times in a row (i.e. debug, test, debug, test, debug, test). If the results are not consistent, this is likely due to flaky wiring.

kostbill
    Participant

Hi,

JTAG does not work anymore (perhaps I burned it), so it is consistent.

Having said that however, I will rework the cables, solder them and get back to it later.

Thanks again,

Vasileios.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.