HOW-TO : Debug local machine ONLY

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualDDK/VirtualKD discussion HOW-TO : Debug local machine ONLY

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hello in here.
    In wanted to get back to driver development, where I stopped since 5 years ago.
    In former times I used any strange editor and the good old simple ddk with windows xp for the development.
    Now, having windows 7 64 bit, visual studio 2008 and the wdk, I downloaded all Your stuff, which Your homepage recommended.

I followed all Your steps in order to get the simple program to run the “hello world” debug message.

It simply does not start. ( It is a wdm based driver, like in one of Your tutorials ) .
    “Programm bla bla.sys” could not be started.
    The build runs successfully, as soon i want to run and debug it, i get an error box like above.
    ( I would add debugger information if necessary, next time ).

Information : I want to run it locally and debug it locally ( i do not want to set up any virtual machine, I would prefer just to debug it, as if i have been creating any clientside application ).
    A ) Is this possible ?
    B ) if so, where should i start troubleshooting first ?

THX in advance.

Anonymous
    Participant

@Newbie wrote:

Hello in here.
    In wanted to get back to driver development, where I stopped since 5 years ago.
    In former times I used any strange editor and the good old simple ddk with windows xp for the development.
    Now, having windows 7 64 bit, visual studio 2008 and the wdk, I downloaded all Your stuff, which Your homepage recommended.

I followed all Your steps in order to get the simple program to run the “hello world” debug message.

It simply does not start. ( It is a wdm based driver, like in one of Your tutorials ) .
    “Programm bla bla.sys” could not be started.
    The build runs successfully, as soon i want to run and debug it, i get an error box like above.
    ( I would add debugger information if necessary, next time ).

Information : I want to run it locally and debug it locally ( i do not want to set up any virtual machine, I would prefer just to debug it, as if i have been creating any clientside application ).
    A ) Is this possible ?
    B ) if so, where should i start troubleshooting first ?

THX in advance.

I have been checking Your forums and found the answer.
    Now I will try to set up any simple xp sp3 , windows 7 / windows 8 vbox, if possible…., perhaps refetching an image of my old backup with recimg would be sufficient to have this stuff in a virtual machine.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.