How to create a new ESP-IDF v5 project

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB How to create a new ESP-IDF v5 project

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    paulh001
    Participant

Hi

I want to create a new ESP-IDF project, I would expect an option to choose the ESP-IDF options I need but I can only choose example projects?

How can I create a project with for example support for lcd (ili9341), wifi, sockets, I2c etc. ?

Is there an option to do so?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This is by design. VisualGDB can automatically do things that are, well, automatable. ESP-IDF comes with various examples that can be built using the same CMake interface, so VisualGDB can automatically clone and build them for you. ESP-IDF uses KConfig to edit various configuration parameters, so VisualGDB offers a neat searchable GUI for working with them.

To our best knowledge, ESP-IDF does not come with a machine-readable description that would cover the functionality you described, hence VisualGDB cannot automatically do it.

paulh001
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks, I did some research and I think for now I merge several examples into one template. I see that VisualGDB reads the kconfig file so I can edit it to merge the example menu’s. I only cannot find this file in the solution explorer.

The only (minor) issue I have is that VisualGDB somehow delete the components which I added to the project using the component yaml file. When I select Reload Cmake Project the components are dowloaded again. But when you reconfigure the project options the components are delete.

Thanks, for the quick response.

support
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, it is hard to suggest anything specific based on the description you provided.
    In order for us to provide any help with this, we need to be able to reproduce the problem on our side.
    Please provide complete and detailed steps to reproduce the issue as described below:

1. The steps should begin with launching Visual Studio. They should include every step necessary to create the project from scratch and reproduce the issue.
    2. Please make sure the steps do not involve any 3rd-party code as we will not be able to review it. If the problem only happens with a specific project, please make sure you can reproduce it on a clean project created from scratch. See this page for more information and detailed examples.
    3. The steps should include uncropped screenshots of all wizard pages, VisualGDB Project Properties pages and any other GUI involved in reproducing the problem. This is critical for us to be able to reproduce the problem on our side.

You can read more about the best way to report VisualGDB issues in our problem reporting guidelines, If you do not wish to document the repro steps and save the screenshots, please consider recording a screen video instead and sending us a link to it.

You can also try checking various diagnostic output from various parts of VisualGDB as described on this page. Although we won’t be able to review it for a specific project unless the we can reproduce the problem from scratch, checking it might provide some clues on what is causing the unexpected behavior.

paulh001
    Participant

Hi,

I recreated the project, now it seems ok

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.