How can i view content of shared pointers

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB How can i view content of shared pointers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    roy111
    Participant

Hi,

I’m using VisualGDB from a local machine with VisualStudio 2017 to debug a CMake project on a remote Linux, Ubuntu 16.04 machine.

The source code is on the local windows, and build on the remote machine, using the remote machine toolchain.

I did not succeed in viewing the content of shared pointers ( e.g. std::shared_ptr<int> ).

Any ideas ? Should I install some visualizers ?

Thanks.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Looks like we missed it with our built-in visualizers. Please try this build: http://sysprogs.com/files/tmp/VisualGDB-5.3.11.1837.msi

roy111
    Participant

Works great – thanks !

roy111
    Participant

It turns out that the new version (see link in message above) enables to view the content of shared pointers during runtime, but now the intellisense stopped auto completing their content.

Any idea?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

IntelliSense should not be related to the fix we added for debug visualizers. Please try double-checking if you can get the same behavior with a minimal “hello, world” project. If yes, please post the code here so that we could check it (we quickly tried it with “std::make_unique<std::string>()->” and it worked as expected).

roy111
    Participant

Solved the problem by going to “VisualGDB ProjectProperties”, then selected “InteliSense directories” tab, and then clicked on “Reload all directories”.

It took a while but for some reason this refresh was needed.

Now it seems to work perfectly.

Thanks!

roy111
    Participant

Hi,

Now during runtime I can view shared pointers, however I cannot view the content boost::optional .

I do have the visualizers installed for Visual Studio 2017.

Any ideas ?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

VisualGDB doesn’t support visualization of boost types out-of-the-box, however we do support natvis, so you can locate the current Boost visualization files and add them to your project.

See this tutorial for a detailed example: https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/custom/natvis/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.