Generating bin file for extra memories is slow for large projects

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Generating bin file for extra memories is slow for large projects

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  support 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #26459

    davidoz
    Participant

    Hi,

    My application is 6Mb and uses external flash and ram.  Additional Memories are enabled so it always generates the BIN file for the external flash.  It’s a time consuming process (a lot longer than the normal objcopy method).  I’ve tried unticking the ‘bin’ box in the Makefile settings, but that doesn’t apply to the additional memory.  It still generates the bin file.

    Any chance you could make the ‘bin’ tick box disable the bin file for additional memories too?

     

    Cheers

    David

     

    #26464

    support
    Keymaster

    No problem, we have added a per-memory setting that controls the generation of the .bin files.

    Please try this build: VisualGDB-5.5.2.3384.msi

    #26473

    davidoz
    Participant

    Wow, that was quick.  I can now turn off  the ‘bin’ file generation for external memories.  I like the new build window too.

    Cheers

    David

    p/s I think the extension on the build file is incorrect.  It downloaded a .man file instead of .msi.

    #26477

    support
    Keymaster

    Good to know it works. We have also double-checked the download file extension and it appears correct. If you encounter the issue again, please let us know the repro steps and we will investigate.

    #26516

    davidoz
    Participant

    The file extension issue is a known peculiarity with IE/Edge.  Something about the network not identifying the file type correctly so IE renames it to *.man.

    There’s a fix for the server side if you’re interested.  It doesn’t bother me though.  Renaming the file is easy enough.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/all/downloading-an-msi-file-renames-it-man-really/590868e5-d0a4-4815-99b9-667a097340a3

     

    Cheers

    David

     

    #26539

    support
    Keymaster

    Thanks for the link. We have reproduced the problem. Indeed, when using Internet Explorer (not Edge) to download the temporary builds that don’t go through our CDN system, the extension changes to .man. it should be indeed trivial to fix it, however due to relatively low impact, we will delay it until the upcoming upgrade of our server framework, so that we could fully test it as a part of the post-upgrade tests. If this becomes more annoying, feel free to ping us and we will consider raising the priority for this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.