Fail to download kernel symbols

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualKernel Fail to download kernel symbols

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hi,
    I try Visual Kernel and want build a kernel module for the actual rasperry pi kernel 3.12.28+.
    But the Dialog “Installing kernel symbols” failed with:
    Unable to locate package linux-image-3.12.28+-dbg

What can I do?

The same was before with the headers, but that I solved with https://github.com/notro/rpi-source/wiki
    So the source is installed in the home folder.
    Can VisualKernel use this source?

Peter

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The Raspberry Pi distro does not include kernel debug packages, so if you want to develop/debug kernel modules for it, you need to build the kernel from source code. Follow this tutorial for more details: http://sysprogs.com/VisualKernel/tutorials/raspberry/basicmodule/

Anonymous
    Participant

The code modul is small and well tested. So I need only to compile it and not debug.
    But the wizard can not finished without apply the kernel symbols?

If I have to build the kernel from source code so I have to install a Debian VM first.

support
    Keymaster

Yes, VisualKernel is focusing on seamless debugging experience, so configuring debugging is a mandatory step. If you just need to build your module, you can simply use the command line.

Anonymous
    Participant

I have the actual debian debian-7.6.0-amd64 installed in a vm.

At this step in the tuturial:

peter@debian64:~/raspberry$ ${CCPREFIX}gcc -v
    /home/peter/raspberry/tools/arm-bcm2708/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-raspbian-x64/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14′ not found (required by /home/peter/raspberry/tools/arm-bcm2708/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-raspbian-x64/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc)

I get an error: `GLIBC_2.14′ not found.

Installed is:
    ldd –version
    ldd (Debian EGLIBC 2.13-38+deb7u4) 2.13

How can I get 2.14?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.