Exclude specific folders

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Exclude specific folders

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying out VisualGDB-4.2r4 for a small open source project that I’ve checkout out from Git. The problem I have is that no matter what I do I either have to transfer the whole project including .git folder! or only folders get submitted.

I have attached the settings I have now.
    Basically I can only exclude files in the ‘Files to transfer’ dialog, but if I use the exclude some folders feature then only the selected folders get submitted, not the files under root. There is no way I have found to properly transfer my files and have VisualGDB detect things have changed without also sending my .git directory.

Any ideas?

P.S. using a shared folder does work, but then when I debug visual studio opens a new read-only version of the file with the breakpoint which is less than ideal.

kurt
    Participant

Is there an option to select “Include all directories”, but then add an “Except for these folders” exclusion option?

My scenario is similar to the OP’s, where I want to include everything except for “.git” and one other personal folder.  The exclude list is a minority, so it is a hassle to check every folder using “Included selected directories only”, especially when the project is very big.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

VisualGDB 4.2 is more than 3 years old and is naturally missing many usability features. Please install the latest VisualGDB 5.3 – it allows excluding specific subdirectories using the ‘-‘ syntax, e.g.:

-.git;*

This syntax will recursively upload all files from all directories, automatically skipping over .git (and its subdirectories).

yurik
    Participant

Hi,

I have VisualGDB 5.3R8… and it seems that it still doesn’t work =(

For example, in my source tree there is folder ‘.builds’. I tried options ‘*;-.builds’ and ‘-.builds;*’, but in all cases VisualGDB transferred all files from the source tree to the remote machine without exceptions.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Strange. Would you be able to create a basic repro project and send it to us? That should be the easiest way for us to see what is going on.

yurik
    Participant

Thanks for response! I prepared small CMake project and then imported it using VisualGDB. The result in the attachment (password: vgdb). As you can see, the directory ‘.builds’ was transferred to the remote machine.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for the repro project. It looks like you are trying to exclude a directory using the mask for files.

Instead please choose “include selected subdirectories only” and select all subdirectories instead of .build.

We are also working on an improved file transfer engine that will allow specifying more complex rules instead of the current files/directories settings, so feel free to get check back in a few weeks and try the next preview build once we release it.

yurik
    Participant

Well, now I see. The problem is that you can not choose “include selected subdirectories only” in the appropriate wizard, there is just no such option =)

Screenshot of the wizard window in the attachment.  This option becomes available only for existing projects in the settings window.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No problem. We will consider updating the wizard controls as a part of introducing the new transfer engine.

yurik
    Participant

The wizard immediately downloads files, so it’s not obvious that there are more options available.

Thanks for the help!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.