ESP8266 Tutorials

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB ESP8266 Tutorials

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    nevyn
    Participant

I’ve been working on the trying to get VisualGDB working with the ESP8266 and I keep hitting one problem after another.

I have taken the WiFi module out of the ESP8266-EVB board and put this on breadboard.  This has been wired up as per the ESP8266 getting started tutorial and 3.3V supplied to the breadboard.

I have then used the Olimex-Tiny-H JTAG debugger and connected this up following the modified instructions in the additional tutorial which was posted late last week.  The serial number of the debugger and the frequency have been modified as per the instructions.

The Olimex debugger is generating the following output:

Topology file C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\VisualGDB\xt-ocd-topology.xml
    XOCD 11.0.2-development
    (c) 1999-2015 Tensilica Inc. All rights reserved.
    [Debug Log 2015-09-14 19:10:43]

Loading module “gdbstub” v2.0.0.11
    Loading module “ft2232” v2.0.0.1
    0: FTDI D2XX Library Version: 0x30207
    0: FTDI D2XX Driver Version: 0x21206 [NOTE: Newer than most recent tested driver !]
    0: Error querying status for bogus mpsse command (count: 501). Ignoring…
    Loading module “jtag” v2.0.0.20
    Loading module “xtensa” v2.0.0.40
    Loading module “traxapp” v2.0.0.8
    Loading module “trax” v2.0.1.22
    0: Error: Only 0 bytes available
    0: ft2232_read failed with -107

ERROR 5.11: Capture IR failed. Total IR bits : 0

WARNING 5.20: Chain Controller0: Bypass DR method finds 0 TAPs while topology file sets 1

WARNING 5.21: Chain Controller0: Capture IR method finds 0 TAPs while topology file sets 1

WARNING 5.23: Chain Controller0, Tap TAP0: IR Width differs, Topology sets 5, Capture IR got 0

WARNING 5.1: Examining scan chain failed!
    Starting thread ‘GDBStub’

Similarly the J-Link Edu debugger is generating the following:

Topology file C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\VisualGDB\xt-ocd-topology.xml

XOCD 11.0.2-development
    (c) 1999-2015 Tensilica Inc. All rights reserved.
    [Debug Log 2015-09-14 19:17:21]

Loading module “gdbstub” v2.0.0.11
    Loading module “jlink” v2.0.0.1
    0: Using JLINK lib v.50203
    0: Connected to Jlink Device:
    0: Name:’SEGGER J-Link EDU’
    0: S/N:111111111
    0: Firmware: J-Link V9 compiled Sep 8 2015 17:41:47
    0: TCK clock frequency : 1000 kHz
    Loading module “jtag” v2.0.0.20
    Loading module “xtensa” v2.0.0.40
    Loading module “traxapp” v2.0.0.8
    Loading module “trax” v2.0.1.22

ERROR 5.11: Capture IR failed. Total IR bits : 0

WARNING 5.20: Chain Controller0: Bypass DR method finds 0 TAPs while topology file sets 1

WARNING 5.21: Chain Controller0: Capture IR method finds 0 TAPs while topology file sets 1

WARNING 5.23: Chain Controller0, Tap TAP0: IR Width differs, Topology sets 5, Capture IR got 0

WARNING 5.1: Examining scan chain failed!
    Starting thread ‘GDBStub’
    Starting thread ‘TraxApp’
    0: Warning: TAP is inaccessible!
    0: Error: Exception! (dosr:0xff)

Google is still not being helpful, is getting a JTAG tool chain set up always so difficult 🙂

Regards,
    Mark

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This looks like a connection problem. Please double-check that all the JTAG connections (TDI, TDO, TMS, TCK) match the layout used with the EVB board. Also try resetting the board manually, but ensure that the reset is disconnected from the JTAG reset (xt-ocd has a bug with the reset on FT2232-based programmers). Finally try lowering the JTAG rate to 1 MHz or even lower.

nevyn
    Participant

Would I be better using the Segger J-Link Edu if there are known reset issues with the USB-TINY-H?  The Edu version is supposed to be an educational / research version of the full J_Link product.

I’ll double check the wiring later today.  That was one of the first things I verified but it does not harm to have another look.

One thing I have noticed is that the Segger is outputting signals to the ESP8266 but the USB-TINY-H does not appear to output anything.

I’ll report back later on what I find

Thanks for the input,
    Mark

nevyn
    Participant

You were spot on, it was a wiring problem.

Thanks for the help,
    Mark

support
    Keymaster

No problem. If you encounter further problems, feel free to post them on the forum.

nevyn
    Participant

So I’ve made it through the Blinky LED tutorial so I know I can programme the device and even single step through the code.  First couple of times the device was prgrammed everything went OK.

Today I have tried to reprogramme the chip and I get a dialog with the following:

Loading ESP Firmware
    Tick beside Preparing Image
    Arrow icon -> Loading Image.

The system just stops at that point.

I’m using the J-Link Edu programmer and the LED on the programmer is flickering green.

Regards
    Mark

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This can be just some random ESP8266 glitch. Normally unplugging everything and replugging it back solves the problem.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.