ESP8266 non-os SDK or RTOS SDK

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB ESP8266 non-os SDK or RTOS SDK

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jhinkle
    Participant

I’m new to the ESP8266 but have been designing embedded RTOS software on ARM micro for years.

Based on that experience and comfortability, I elected to start off using the RTOS SDK for the ESP.

I’m simply testing some basic concepts to check out the performance:

example:  Open a UDP socket and accept incoming data packets .. do nothing with them.

I’m using the gdbstubb right now because I was unable to get my jtag connection working.

I’m getting random SIG faults from inside the SDK — can’t debug them to discover why.

Any one that’s been developing for the ESP over a good length of time — what is your opinion on the better of the two platforms to use:  the non-os SDK or the RTOS version?

Any comments appreciated.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The ESP8266 is not very reliable and often needs some experimenting to get it to work. It’s also very sensitive to the power supply quality. In our tests it generated random problems when powered from the same USB port as the JTAG debugger and started working more reliably when we connected it to a separate 5V 2A power supply.

As an alternative you can try the CC3200 microcontroller from TI. It is more expensive, but much more reliable.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.