ESP8266 new SDK

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB ESP8266 new SDK

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    julieninnovel
    Participant

Hello,

Espressif have the latest NONOS SDK V3.0.0 since 2018.08.24.

Do you know when it will be available with VisualGDB ?

Thanks

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We have done basic tests on the NONOS SDK 3.0 and it looks like several parts of it are seriously broken: the new partition table mechanism doesn’t work for non-OTA applications and some users who tried it reported random crashes in JSON-related code.

You can try using this toolchain build that includes the new SDK, however it did not pass our internal tests and we cannot recommend it for stable development. Once Espressif releases the next update to the SDK, we will re-run our tests on it and will publish an updated toolchain.

julieninnovel
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, I will wait for a stable release.

julieninnovel
    Participant

Hello,

I’m come back about this subject, because there is a bug in the smartconfig lib of previous SDK.

Espressif have fixed it in NONOS SDK 3.0.0.

I’m using the esp8266-gcc5.2.0-r15 gnu toolchain today, but the smartconfig can’t be run with last Android phone and iOS.

I’have made a mixe between the r15 toolchain and libs of the espressif SDK 3.0.0 only to check the bug fixed of the smartconfig. I’ts working fine for me.

But I would like to know if you will be able to do an official release of this new SDK for Visual GDB.

Thanks in advance

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Based on our understanding, Espressif is not actively developing the NonOS SDK and is instead focusing on the RTOS SDK 3.x that is based on the ESP-IDF framework.

We have recently added full support for the latest RTOS SDK to VisualGDB and would like to encourage our users to switch to it, as it seems to be more regularly maintained than the old NonOS SDK.

Unless Espressif releases another major version of the NonOS SDK that will work sufficiently reliably, we will not be supporting it officially, sorry. That said, please feel free to use our open-source BSP generator to build a BSP based on the patched SDK you have, so you won’t need to mix different versions manually.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.