ESP32 sample fails to link/build

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB ESP32 sample fails to link/build

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mesh
    Participant

I followed the instructions here using the LED Blink project:

http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/esp32/

and the resulting build failed due to linker errors:

Error 3 error : undefined reference to `xt_ints_on’ C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp32-bsp\esp-idf\components\newlib\time.c 109 1 EmbeddedProjectTest

Error 4 error : undefined reference to `xt_ints_off’ C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp32-bsp\esp-idf\components\esp32\int_wdt.c 90 1 EmbeddedProjectTest

Error 8 error : undefined reference to `_frxt_setup_switch’ C:\esp32Test\EmbeddedProjectTest\EmbeddedProjectTest\VisualGDB\Debug\locks.o 1 1 EmbeddedProjectTest

and many more.

It appears to be skipping assembly code files in the build.

I’m not sure how to fix this, as this project was generated by Visual GDB’s sample project. (This was the LED blink project).

How do we fix or add assembly code files to the build?

Best regards,

Matthew

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please double-check that you are using:

• The latest VisualGDB 5.2
    • MSBuild subsystem
    • Our original ESP32 toolchain
    • The ESP-IDF that comes with our toolchain
    mesh
    Participant

Hello,

Yes, I was using the latest of everything, and installed the toolchain and IDF via Visual GDB.

FWIW, VS2013 Community and Win8.1 are my platform.

I did solve this problem later. I found that in the project generated by Visual GDB, I had to select each *.S file in the Device Specific files -> FreeRTOS folder, open Properties on each file, and then reset the “Item Type” of each file. After the Item Type reset, each assembly file was then properly included in the build and I was able to link correctly and run the project successfully. Everything was smooth afterwards. Thank you!

Best regards,

Matthew

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry about that, looks like some MSBuild-related setting is preventing the .S files from being automatically recognized. If you encounter this problem again, please let us know and we will investigate.

mesh
    Participant

Yes, this happens anytime I create a new ESP32 VisualGDB project. It isn’t the end of the world, but certainly “slows things down”.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No problem. We have added a workaround for this behavior in this build: http://sysprogs.com/files/tmp/VisualGDB-5.2.14.1343.msi

It should automatically set the file type for .S files in case VS did not recognize it properly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.