Yes, I was using the latest of everything, and installed the toolchain and IDF via Visual GDB.
FWIW, VS2013 Community and Win8.1 are my platform.
I did solve this problem later. I found that in the project generated by Visual GDB, I had to select each *.S file in the Device Specific files -> FreeRTOS folder, open Properties on each file, and then reset the “Item Type” of each file. After the Item Type reset, each assembly file was then properly included in the build and I was able to link correctly and run the project successfully. Everything was smooth afterwards. Thank you!
Sorry about that, looks like some MSBuild-related setting is preventing the .S files from being automatically recognized. If you encounter this problem again, please let us know and we will investigate.