ESP32 – JTAG debugging using C232HM (FTDI based cable)

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB ESP32 – JTAG debugging using C232HM (FTDI based cable)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    christophe
    Participant

Hello,

I’m trying to use a C232HM-DDHSL-0 JTAG vable (based on a FTDI chip) to debug an ESP32. I correctly connected the TDO, TDI, TCK and TMS signal as well as the 3.3v and the GND). I also use the zadig tool to install the WinUSB driver attached to the device.

After selecting the debug method as OpenOCD, i’ve edited the interface/ftdi/esp32_devkit_v1.cfg to match the PID/VID.

When I try to test the connection, I’ve got this following error :

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2019-01-11)
    Licensed under GNU GPL v2
    For bug reports, read
    http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
    none separate
    adapter speed: 3000 kHz
    Info : auto-selecting first available session transport “jtag”. To override use ‘transport select <transport>’.
    esp32 interrupt mask on
    VisualGDB_OpenOCD_Ready
    Info : clock speed 3000 kHz
    Info : JTAG tap: esp32.cpu0 tap/device found: 0x120034e5 (mfg: 0x272 (Tensilica), part: 0x2003, ver: 0x1)
    Info : JTAG tap: esp32.cpu1 tap/device found: 0x120034e5 (mfg: 0x272 (Tensilica), part: 0x2003, ver: 0x1)
    Info : accepting ‘gdb’ connection on tcp/51321
    Info : Halt timed out, wake up GDB.
    Error: timed out while waiting for target halted / 1 – 2

Error: Target not halted
    Error: auto_probe failed
    Error: Connect failed. Consider setting up a gdb-attach event for the target to prepare target for GDB connect, or use ‘gdb_memory_map disable’.
    Error: attempted ‘gdb’ connection rejected

Am I missing something ?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It looks like a missing reset signal (in our experiments, some probes had to use the TRST signal, while others needed SRST), so trying a few reset options in OpenOCD configuration script might resolve this. If not, please try using Olimex ARM-USB-OCD-H (we have fully tested it on our side and covered in our tutorials), or some of the ESP32 boards with on-board JTAG, that should have the necessary wiring and matching configuration scripts.

christophe
    Participant

I’ve checked with another esp32 eval board (based on ESP32-WROVER-B). If I use the built-in JTAG, it works. If i remove the JTAG jumpers and plug my C232HM cable, it also works (without the need of any reset).

But the JTAG debug on the WROOM32 is still stuck!

support
    Keymaster

Sorry, it looks like something related to the wiring or layout of a specific board and is generally outside VisualGDB’s control. The only way to diagnose this that we could suggest would be to try understanding the differences between a working an a non-working setup (e.g. using a logic analyzer). Please also consider asking on the Espressif forums – you may get some insights into this from the team that designed the WROVER/WROOM boards.

christophe
    Participant

Hello,

I got something. Seems related to underpowering from the jtag cable: removing the 3v3 wire and using the power supply using the USB cable (UART), it seems working well.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing this, it does look like the potential cause for the problem, although unfortunately it’s not something that VisualGDB could easily fix.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.