ESP32 DEVKITC cannot connect or program

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB ESP32 DEVKITC cannot connect or program

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ChangedDaily
    Participant

Hi, I am trying to get a sample program working for the ESP32 using a DEVKITC. I cannot connect to the board or program it. Having read loads of posts on this forum I’m beginning to think the ESP32 system is not such a good idea. Anyway, I would still like to try and at least get a sample program working. I have tried loads of settings for the debug – Debug using: ESP32 Devkit, Open OCD, programming via serial port, check the Libusb WinUSB driver is installed, freertos is enabled for both cpu’s. The error I am getting is:

VisualGDB version: 5.4.103.3000
    —————— System.Net.Sockets.SocketException ——————
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:58021
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalEndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.WPF.DebugMethodTestWindow.TestThreadBody()

Some help appreciated!

support
    Keymaster

Generally, ESP32 devices are indeed less straight-forward than the ARM-based ones like CC32xx. The main reason for this is that instead of relying on the mature ecosystem of the ARM tools, Espressif is using a much less popular Xtensa core and had to create ports for many development tools that would support it. They also introduce new features and versions of the SDKs very fast, doing much less testing compared to the traditional ARM-based device vendors, that often results in strange errors that need to be reported to them. Given the price of their devices compared to the main ARM-based competitors, the extra initial setup and occasional troubleshooting with the new IDF releases might pay off on the long run.

This specific error means that VisualGDB failed to connect to the OpenOCD (the tool for interfacing with JTAG hardware). Please try checking the connection test window for more specific error messages; if there are none – the connection might be blocked by your firewall. If disabling the firewall doesn’t help, please try ignoring the error, starting the debug session and checking the OpenOCD window in Visual Studio – it should contain more details.

If nothing helps, please let us know and we will provide more detailed instructions on diagnosing this.

ChangedDaily
    Participant

Hi,

I have moved on to use a Silicon Labs module, it was just being too painful. I expect I will return to have a closer look sometime soon – it was good to have the BTLE/WiFi in one moudule but not a must have for my project.

Thanks

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update. If you encounter any further issues, please do not hesitate to get back to us.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.