ESP32 custom flash partitions

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB ESP32 custom flash partitions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  support 2 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

dparkinson
    Participant

How can I set up custom flash partitions for an ESP32 MSBuild project?

Specifically, I want some partitions reserved for some data (Type = data, SubType = nvs?). I’d give it a unique name so I know what it’s used for in my program when I call the

esp_partition_find_first(
    ESP_PARTITION_TYPE_DATA,
    ESP_PARTITION_SUBTYPE_DATA_NVS,
    “my_data”);

Do I need to run the esp-idf tool to first generate a partitions.bin file before creating a new project? (see http://esp-idf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api-guides/partition-tables.html and  partition_table/gen_esp32part.py).

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, please run the esp-idf tool, generate a new partitions.bin file and specify a path to it on the first page of VisualGDB Project Properties.

dparkinson
    Participant

Thanks! I was able to get something that seems to work.

It seems I had to make a custom partition type in the range 0x40-0xFE. Otherwise, if I make it general NVS data, the WiFi will try to store wifi configuration data in that space. (I was using your WiFi server example/tutorial as the starting point for the project).  The subtype then has to be O (instead of nvs) or the gen_esp32part.py doesn’t like it.

I left the other partitions alone so hopefully the WiFi portion will continue to work, correctly. (It seems to be working so far).

So, my new partition.csv table looked something like this

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this, good to know that it works.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.