ESP32 C3 live watch

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB ESP32 C3 live watch

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mattia
    Participant

Hello,

I’m using VGDB 5.6R2 (build 4506). I’m debugging an ESP32-C3. But I can’t find the Live watch window, only the Visual Watch. Is it supported, since the C3 is a Risc-V uC? Also, what is the purpose of the Visual Watch?

Thank you,

Mattia Berton

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Although ESP32-C3 is indeed based on RISC-V, based on our experiments, the ESP32 OpenOCD could not read the target memory without stopping it, hence Live Watch won’t work. We have briefly checked with Espressif and it should be theoretically supported, although might require some patching on the OpenOCD side.

We will look further into it during one of the next OpenOCD updates and will try to get live watch for ESP32-C3 working, although we cannot promise anything at this point.

Edit: we have created a Github issue regarding the broken background memory reads on ESP32-C3. If Espressif could get it resolved, Live Variables will work on ESP32-C3 same way they do on ARM targets.

Visual Watch is a different mechanism. It allows plotting large arrays as graphs instead of just viewing them row-by-row. It requires the target to be stopped, just as the regular watch.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by support. Reason: added a link to the Github issue
    mattia
    Participant

Do you have any tutorials on how to use Visual Watch?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We do not have a dedicated tutorial for Visual Watch, however it is featured in our STM32 ADC tutorial.

support
    Keymaster

We have an update on the ESP32-C3 Live Watch. Espressif has pointed out a workaround that allows reading the ESP32-C3 memory without stopping the CPU, and we have updated our ESP32 debug package to handle it correctly. We have published a detailed tutorial demonstrating how to use it: https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/esp32/livewatch/

mattia
    Participant

Great work guys, I will use them ASAP!!

Mattia

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.