Error When Building Bootloader+App [cmake]

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Error When Building Bootloader+App [cmake]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bflannery
    Participant

I am running into an issue when I try to build my Application that includes the bootloader as an embedded resource.

The application runs entirely out of SRAM because the actual binary is stored in external flash memory.

The bootloader builds and flashes fine when built/debug in isolation.

The build process can’t make it past “Wrapping”

The linker produces this error:

[1/7] Updating EmbeddedResources.h
    [2/7] Wrapping C:/<redacted>/build/VisualGDB/Debug/<redacted>.bin
    FAILED: <redacted>_embedded_bin.o0
    cmd.exe /C "cd /D C:<redacted> && c:\SysGCC\arm-eabi\bin\arm-none-eabi-ld.exe -r -b binary C:<redacted>/build/VisualGDB/Debug/<redacted>.bin -o C:<redacted>/build/VisualGDB/Debug/<redacted>_embedded_bin.o0"
    c:\SysGCC\arm-eabi\bin\arm-none-eabi-ld.exe: final link failed: memory exhausted

Any insight would be appreciated.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Looks like something about your project breaks the linker. As far as VisualGDB is concerned, it starts the build, sees the error message and reports it as expected.

You can try enabling verbose mode, getting the exact gcc/linker command lines, and asking in the binutils mailing lists if you need further help.

bflannery
    Participant

Figured it out. I had a section in my bootloader linkerscript not marked (NOLOAD) that should have been.

bflannery
    Participant

Is there any reason that the application bootloader would not be produced when built?

I have the GENERATE_BIN option on both BSP based executables. The bootloader target produces a .bin file but the application does not.

bflannery
    Participant

I mangled my first sentence in that last post. It should read:

“Is there any reason that the application bin file would not be produced when built?”

support
    Keymaster

Sorry, we are not aware of any specific setting that would interfere with it. If one project works distinctly different from another one, you can try comparing the project files side-by-side and merging differences between them to see at which point the behavior changes.

bflannery
    Participant

So you only get the binaries when you build at the cmake project level. If you right click and build the debug targets directly it does not generate the binary file or hex file. Only the elf.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.