Error Messages with Keil MDK-ARM Compiler not parsed correctly

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Error Messages with Keil MDK-ARM Compiler not parsed correctly

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MiSt
    Participant

Hi,

I’m currently evaluating the use of VisualGDB 5.1 (build 672) with  a Visual Studio Pro 2013 together with the Arm Compiler 5.06 included with the Keil MDK-ARM. I used this tutorial http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/arm/keil/ but at point 33 I cannot get the error messages to point me to the source code when double clicking. I downloaded the BuildMessagesTemplates.xml file and placed in the Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\ folder.

Still errors are shown in the Errror List with the Column File content being filename”, line X and the Line and Column fields being empty. I tried placing the BuildMessagesTemplates.xml in the project folder, or in one of the subfolders or in the AppData/Local/VisualGDB folder but nothing did help.

Is there some other step i should take to ensure the xml file will be used? Are there some project configuration settings i might have missed that cause VisualGDB to ignore the xml file?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It should not normally require any extra steps. Can you double-check that the XML file got saved to the c:\program files(x86)\sysprogs\VisualGDB? Perhaps the UAC folder redirection got it saved into a different place accidentally?

MiSt
    Participant

I have verified that the file is located in  C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB . In the Properties of the Files it was blocked by Security, ich have clicked the unblock button and it doesn’t show up in the Properties anymore, but no change in behavior.

What i have also seen is that in the Output tab a typical error message looks like “filepath”, line X : error : #X: description. The <GccMessage> entry has “(Error|Warning)” with capital E and the GCCDetailedMessage does not seem to fit. Might that be a problem (Although i know that in the direct compiler output Error is written with capital E, i don’t know which output gets parsed)?

support
    Keymaster

This might the case if the error output format of the compiler has changed. The regexes are indeed case-sensitive. Please try moving the file out of the way, building the project to see the raw error message and then using the online regex debugger to see whether the regex in the file matches the output. If not, you should be able to easily adjust it. Let us know if you need help.

MiSt
    Participant

Thank you for the link, this helped a lot. Unfortunately the data in the Output tab does not seem to be the raw error but something at is formated differently at least by my VS2013 version . Is there any way to turn this off?

The error lay in the regex, the following worked for me (Arm Compiler 5.06u1):
    ^”([^:]+)”, line ([0-9]+): (Error|Warning):(.*)$
    This differs from the tutorial supplied file only that it does not expect a “:” character in the file location, and the compiler message contained relative paths.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by MiSt.
    support
    Keymaster

The Output tab contains the error messages formatted so that Visual Studio can understand them. VisualGDB reads the messages from the compiler, recognizes them using regexes and prints them back using the format used by Microsoft’s compiler, so VS can display them.

If you want to see the raw messages, simply run ‘make > log.txt 2>&1’ from the command prompt in your project directory and then look into the log file.

Let us know if you need more details.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.