Error connecting DP: cannot read IDR

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Error connecting DP: cannot read IDR

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mary_CM
    Participant

I could program and debug this project for the first time. But the problem is that I can’t reprogram or debug it again. There is no bootloader on the chip. The only way to communicate with this chip is SWD. As a debugger, I am using Atmel ice. The microchip is SAMD21E16B-U. The project is created by Atmel Start. Visual Studio is used as an IDE to import the project.

After debugging again, the error is:

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

– The problem may be because of setup. I am not sure what I missed. I followed the visualGDB website for importing this project.
    – I checked the power connection.
    – There is no option for “connect under reset” on visualgdb debug setting. However, this option was available on STM chips.

I really appreciate it if you can guide me on what I can do for reprogramming this chip? Or which information I should look for. Thanks for any helpful recommendations, in advance.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This looks like a device connectivity issue rather than something VisualGDB-specific. Our best advice would be to try using Segger J-Link. It comes with its own fully supported replacement for OpenOCD, that generally works better in many edge cases. VisualGDB supports both OpenOCD and J-Link software, so all the features you previously used will continue working the same way.

Mary_CM
    Participant

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response.

I was wondering if there is any option to reset the device on debug setting on visualGDB for atmel?

I think it may solve by resetting and erasing if the bus is not busy. As it worked and debugged the first time.

Thank you so much for you support again.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

VisualGDB does not manage it directly. It simply launches the open-source OpenOCD tool that handles the low-level communication with the target.

You might be able to configure OpenOCD to change the reset behavior by editing the OpenOCD script files, however this is something to do at your own risk and it may require extensive research into OpenOCD internals.

If you are looking for an easy out-of-the-box solution, please consider using Segger J-Link instead.

Mary_CM
    Participant

Hi,

Thank you so much for your support.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.