Embedded Memory explorer uncorrect memory name visualization

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Embedded Memory explorer uncorrect memory name visualization

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  davidoz 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #25795

    Good morning

    I’m using a board with stm32f429 MPU with an external 16M RAM memory placed at 0xc0000000.
    For application purposes, I have to use the external memory as main memory.
    By appropriately modifying the startup files and the  linker script , the program is compiled
    and executed correctly .

    the memory section(inside linker script) is described in this way
    MEMORY
    {
    FLASH (RX): ORIGIN = 0x08000000, LENGTH = 2M
    RAM2 (RWX): ORIGIN = 0x20000000, LENGTH = 192K
    CCMRAM (RWX): ORIGIN = 0x10000000, LENGTH = 64K
    / * — begin generated external memories – * /
    SRAM (RWX): ORIGIN = 0xc0000000, LENGTH = 16M
    / * — end generated external memories – * /
    }

    However, the Embedded Memory window does not display the memory Names  and sizes as they were
    configured in the script linker; but keeps the NAME and dimension as default (eg. SRAM 192k at 0x20000000 instead 16384k at 0xc0000000) (see attached file)

    Is it a wrong configuration /usage ?

    How can these descriptions be modified/correct?

    Thanks for your help

    Pierantonio

    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #25811

    support
    Keymaster

    Hi,

    Please ensure you are using the VisualGDB Project Properties -> External Memories page for defining the external memories. This mechanism automatically updates the memory layout definition used by the Embedded Memory Explorer.

    We are also working on experimental support for parsing the linker scripts and detecting custom modifications to the memory list, however it will take a few weeks before we release a preview build with this functionality.

    #26060

    davidoz
    Participant

    G’day all,

    I also have an issue with the Embedded Memory Explorer when using Extra Memories.  The static stack analysis is such a great tool, I’m really eager to get it working.

    The Extra Memories were created successfully.  Code and data was relocated to the new addresses.  The Embedded Memory Explorer Summary/Detail view shows all the right addresses.

    The problem is every function in the Static Stack Analysis is red flagged as containing jumps to an invalid address (as seen in the screenshot).  The strange thing is even empty functions that don’t call anything are still red flagged.

    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Cheers

    David

    p

     

    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #26063

    support
    Keymaster

    Hi,

    The “jumps to invalid address” would happen if the target address of a jump instruction was not listed in the disassembly output produced by the objdump tool. This might indeed happen with some combination of section flags and linker script rules, however we would need to know more details in order to reproduce/fix it.

    If you could attach a basic repro project (ensure you remove the .vs and VisualGDB folders containing large generated files), or describe the exact repro steps (the address of the new memory, the exact changes to the source files), we should be able to reproduce and fix the problem promptly.

    #26083

    davidoz
    Participant

    Hi,

    Thanks for your prompt reply.

    I generated the FlashingLED (with RTOS) project for the SM32H7.  I then created two external memories:  NOR_FLASH and SDRAM.  These appeared as new memories in the Linker Control script.  I then manually placed all output sections into these memory locations.  Note that I did not use the newly created input sections (e.g  <span>.nor_flash_text).  It is impractical to apply the section attribute to every variable and function in the project.</span>

    Note, you can not run the output directly (you need a bootstrap to configure the external memory first).  However, you can still see that the Static Stack Analysis does not work.  All function are flagged as containing jumps to invalid addresses  (even empty functions with no jumps 🙂  )

    Cheers

    David

     

     

    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #26114

    support
    Keymaster

    Thanks, looks like this memory layout slightly changed the format of the output from objdump that was used by VisualGDB to gather disassembly data.

    We have fixed it in the following build: VisualGDB-5.5.1.3299.msi

    #26119

    davidoz
    Participant

    Awesome turnaround.  It works really well now.

    Cheers,

    David

     

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.