Embedded Linux. Can I use unit tests for the telnet target

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Embedded Linux. Can I use unit tests for the telnet target

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    viordash
    Participant

To debug and deploy code on my device (Soc Hi3518) I use telnet transport (https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/custom/transports/). SSH is not available

How I can use the unit testing in this environment? When I make Run All, I see output, “Pipe-based test reporting only supported on SSH-based Linux targets

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This error happens because the tests use a separate pipe (created with mkfifo) to report structured tests outputs to VisualGDB, and telnet doesn’t allow easily multiplexing multiple streams.

Does your target have mkfifo + netcat installed? If yes, please try checking if you can launch netcat in the background over telnet and let it forward a mkfifo-ed pipe to TCP. If yes, we can extend the custom target interface to allow running unit tests (your implementation would need to “open” a remote pipe and return a .Net Stream object corresponding to it, that will be independent from the regular telnet output).

viordash
    Participant

I’ll do it later and let you know

viordash
    Participant

Hi
    Sorry for the long absence.
    I have checked the utilities you mentioned, mkfifo + netcat. They are in the system and work.
    I would be very grateful if you extend the custom target interface so that I can fully run tests

support
    Keymaster

No problem and thanks for your pull request with adding proper timeout handling to the telnet target.

We have added a new ITargetWithRawPipes interface to VisualGDBExtensibility.dll that should be implemented by the telnet target:

public interface ITargetWithRawPipes : ICustomRemoteTarget
    {
        Stream OpenPipeForReading(string path);
    }

VisualGDB will call the OpenPipeForReading() method, supplying it the full path of the pipe on the Linux machine (e.g. /tmp/pipe). The target should open it and return a readable stream that VisualGDB will read from a background thread.

Note that the pipe output can contain arbitrary bytes and not just printable characters, so the target may need special handling to escape/unescape them properly. We highly advise testing it by reading a test file containing all possible 256 byte values.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.